add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

TCM Classic Movie Fan Club - LOS ANGELES Message Board › 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival Passes NOW ON SALE

2013 TCM Classic Film Festival Passes NOW ON SALE

Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 50
Passes for the 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival go on sale to the public at 12pm Noon (ET). There are five levels of Festival Passes to choose from: the Palace, the Matinee, the Classic, the Essential and the Spotlight.

New for 2013, the Palace Pass gives three day access to screenings at the historic Grauman's Chinese Theatre and Egyptian Theatre, Friday April 26- Sunday, April 28.

Your three day entry to screenings, panels and Club TCM until 6pm daily starting Friday, April 26 - Sunday, April 28.

The Classic Pass opens the door to four days of movie heaven - including access to film screenings, panels, Club TCM and passholder receptions Thursday, April 25 - Sunday, April 28.

The Essential Pass is your chance to walk in the footsteps of Hollywood legends down the red carpet and into Grauman's Chinese Theatre for the Opening Night Gala world premiere restoration of FUNNY GIRL (1968) plus all the benefits of the Classic Pass.

The Spotlight Pass is your ticket to the most glamorous soiree in town, the Opening Night Vanity Fair party following the Red Carpet Gala screening of FUNNY GIRL (1968). Plus enjoy priority entry into ALL screenings and events throughout the Festival including exclusive "meet and greet" events with Robert Osborne, Ben Mankiewicz and other special guests.
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 51
I know from conversations that I have had with many of you, you were interested in attending past year's TCM film fests, but you felt they were just way too expensive. Last year, the festival tried to address this concern by offering a "Matinee Only" pass that would get passholders into daytime screenings and this year they have gone a step further and have added a new "Palace Pass" which will get passholders into their 2 largest venues--the Chinese and Egyptian--at any time EXCEPT the Opening Night FUNNY GIRL restoration premiere (and it is highly anticipated that Robert Osborne will join Barbara Streisand in introducing this modern musical classic).

The thing to be aware of is that most festival attendees are from all over the U.S., but mostly outside of New York or Southern California, so have little or no access to the kinds of extremely affordable and plentiful classic movie events--many including famous filmmakers & celebrities--almost year round here in the L.A. area.

And I am an extremely frugal person who was similarly put off by the price, but decided at the last minute to attend the first TCM fest on a whim, but had such a great time that I decided to do it in subsequent years. It is one of my few, annual splurges. NEXT SPRING, HOWEVER, I AM HOPING THAT AT LEAST A FEW OF YOU CAN ATTEND SO WE CAN HANG OUT TOGETHER.

Just keep in mind that the festival runs 4-5 consecutive or overlapping screenings of different movies during the same time period and only repeat a handful of the most popular ones where they have turn away crowds. Interestingly, they try to also bring back the special guests--if those guests are attending the entire festival.

Because of the increasing popularity of the festival, it is almost required that pass holders show up at least 30 minutes prior to each screening--otherwise the fest might sell individual open seat, standby tickets for those they count as being open around 20 minutes before each screening. And despite their great expense, just having a pass does not guarantee admission--unless you have paid for the most expensive VIP "Spotlight Pass."

Last year for the first time, the fest allowed American Cinematheque members to buy last minute, standby tickets for only half price--that was the best bargain of the festival, but only the 2 largest venues generally had left over seats available so some of the more rare or obscure films in the smaller 200-300 seat theatres were not really available.

Keep in mind that the "Essential Pass" which will get you into the Opening Night gala screening of FUNNY GIRL at the Chinese (but excludes the Vanity Fair party) for $699 will likely sell out by next January or February--especially when they hopefully confirm/announce that Barbara Streisand will introduce that movie. In prior years when there were no "Matinee Pass" or "Palace Pass" options, the "Classic Pass" was available up to the day of the festival, but with its increasing popularity and the new lower price pass options that may not remain the case this year.

Please let me know if you plan to attend, would be great to have your company!

user 22099771
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
I too, have attended the three previous years (and have already registered for 2013 as well) and would like to add some things to consider for those budget minded individuals thinking of purchasing passes.

If you purchase a "Matinee" Pass you can see movies on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday which start before 6 pm at all the venues.

If you purchase a "Palace" Pass you can see movies at the Egyptian and the Grauman's Chinese...but not at the cineplex at the Chinese.

The $100 difference in price between the two passes is the difference primarily in how much CHOICE you will get in choosing films to see. If you purchase "Palace" you will be able to choose between two films; if you choose "Matinee" you will be able to choose between many more (in past years there were 5 screens, plus the Cinerama Dome for a special event.)

The festival sells entrance tickets (previously $20 a piece) for standby attendees for each movie. That means, that after the VIP holders and the other passes (Classic, Matinee, Palace) have been let into the movie they will sell additional seats for $20. If you purchase a Matinee or Palace pass you might be able to buy an individual ticket for a movie after 6 (if you've purchased Matinee) or in a smaller theater (if you purchase Palace.) Because individual ticket holders get in AFTER all pass doesn't matter how early you get in line.

This also means that, as a Los Angeles resident, if you don't purchase passes but you see a movie that you are interested in, you MIGHT be able to see it just by standing in line and purchasing a ticket. There is no guarantee and there is no way to know....the first year friends didn't get in to Sunset Boulevard at the Grauman's Chinese but last year my niece got in to How the West Was Won with Debbie Reynolds at the Cinerama Dome.

Lastly, one key difference between ALL pass holders and standby ticket holders is that pass holders get into "Club TCM" which might not be a big deal depending upon your personality, but the first year(s) the panel discussions were excellent. Last year they didn't interest me at all.

Angelinos who do not attend the festival do have an advantage that our visitors from Idaho don't...some films screened at the festival, especially some of the artier or recently restored ones, do screen in Los Angeles during the year, witness the recent Cinerama Dome "How the West Was Won" and things like "Metropolis" etc. Of course, you don't know what those films will be in advance...

TCM has raised the prices for passes this year by $50 a pass. It is possible that they will also raise the standby ticket price. And for those of us who purchased tickets the first two years as "early birds" and took advantage of the $100 discount (not available last year) we have really seen the prices soar. I see on average, five films over Friday, Sat and Sun, and two or so on opening night. As a "Classic" pass holder I pay about $30 per film.

Hope this helps.
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 52
GREAT JOB, ABBY! You elaborated in a very clear and concise way. I also wanted to add that the festival's exec staff has made clear to me that TCM is happy if they ultimately break even and never produce the festival with the goal of making a profit. They also incur great expense renting the various venues, flying their Atlanta staff to L.A., hiring actual local festival employees (interestingly--unlike other festivals, they do NOT use volunteers in exchange for free pass tickets), paying for transportation and hotel for their celebrity guests and pay technical costs to help acquire archival or restored film prints or DCPs (digital projection copy materials).

Also worth mentioning is the fact that even if you do not pay for the top two pass tiers for the privilege of attending the gala opening night movie (which will be FUNNY GIRL), you can still pick from 3 or 4 other movie screenings that will be running simultaneously--including one outdoor pool side screening.

AND pass holders (at least Classic & above) are able to attend wonderful early-evening welcome and closing night parties at Club TCM with free h'ordeuvres (for the first year that included free wine & alcoholic beverages--but I suspect that perk became too expensive so for the past two years these events were changed to "no host" bar). [TIP--instead of paying $15 at Club TCM for a glass of the hotel's overpriced, mediocre "house" Chardonnay, I saved several dollars by going to the hotel-owned, 25 Degrees restaurant--which adjoins the front lobby--and bought much better quality Coppola Chardonnay for only $5 during happy hour for a larger glass and was able to to take it into Club TCM wearing my festival pass]. I also recommend 25 Degrees for its quick counter service between movies and their prices--which for the quality of food--are not too bad. Also, if you show your festival pass at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf next door, they also will knock of 10-15% of your tab.