TCM Classic Movie Fan Club - LOS ANGELES Message Board › CONSIDERATION involving RSVPing to our TCM FAN CLUB Events

CONSIDERATION involving RSVPing to our TCM FAN CLUB Events

Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Though I understand the prevalent, non-committal L.A. attitude about not wanting to commit to a particular social outing until the last minute in case something better comes along, with our Group I would like everyone to understand that it is a privilege to co-mingle with so many wonderful classic movie and movie history aficionados.

I do not ordinarily like being heavy handed, but in this instance will be, at our Academy Viewing Party last week and yesterday for our Bronson & Beachwood Canyon Historic Walking Tour we had several members who were completely "no show," did not attend and made no effort to contact me IN ADVANCE (or even afterwards) when two of our most popular group outings in recent memory were overbooked and we had a long waiting list. Because of this, that prevented other interested members from also attending. If they updated their R.S.V.P.s spaces would not have been wasted. We do not schedule special outings like these all the time. This "Cie la Vie - I didn't pay so who cares if I decide to show up or not" attitude will not be tolerated in this Meetup group, we need everybody to be CONSIDERATE and RESPONSIBLE.

For the Bronson Canyon event, there may have been initial confusion over the initial event date, but there were 2 follow-up e-mails that specifically clarified the correct event date & time.

From now on if any member RSVPs to a screening or other outing, does not UPDATE their RSVP before the event and ends up not attending without a truly valid reason or any type of reasonable follow up e-mail or phone call, then they will be prohibited from attending special group outings (such as walking tours or home viewing parties) for the next 6 months.  So in the future, please be DELIBERATE and THOUGHTFUL whenever you R.S.V.P. to our outings.

I started this group with the intent of it being completely free and because of our group's unique identification with the TCM name, if fees were charged it might be construed as using of the TCM name for other than non-commercial purposes and that could jeopardize its existence. However, I am personally charged nearly $200 a year to be a Meetup organizer--so if you had the impression Meetup.com was completely free, it is not, at the very least the organizers need to pay for the existence of their groups--regardless if they decide to pass on such fees to their particular group's members.

That is also why when we go to restaurants and divvy up the bill, it is important for you to be generous and accurately factor in what you ordered plus add another 25% of that total for both taxes and gratuity so I don't end up being obligated for any shortfalls--which has unfortunately happened on multiple occasions (sometimes I feel like I am working for you guys!)

Thank you so very much for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

JONO

Organizer

TCM Classic Movie Fan Club Of Los Angeles