HOUSTONxSHAKERS (TEDxHouston Talks) Message Board › Amy Cuddy - Body Language

Amy Cuddy - Body Language

Sabih
user 11049405
Richmond, TX
Post #: 6
http://www.ted.com/ta...­

I was looking to nominate this video for our second Sunday discussions, but I believe I'm late in that those have been chosen?

Anyhows, its worth posting or sharing. I'm a culprit of carrying myself in ways that portray me as being awkward, and am also capable of adjusting my body language when the need arises. I've always struggled with the notion of being yourself (comfortable in ones skin) versus making the conscious effort of keeping a good posture.

Natural awkward gestures aside, socially I have consciously trained myself to portraying less powerful poses. Any one else do this on purpose? I'm not sure if it stems from being too lazy to want to be the center of attention or from a general case of misanthropy? I'm thinking a bit of both :P
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 38
I saw this video already, and it was great! We can always talk about this at the Sunday meeting...bring it up, and I'll bring my IPad just in case people haven't seen it, we can watch it together.
Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 23
Sabih,

For what it is worth -- I think I am an outlier to this phenomenon. I do tend to take up space and hold my posture -- but I am not terribly strong at selling myself.. I wonder if it is the engineer in me that just sees everything from many view points and get equally emotionally connected to each point.

At the same time, I see many people who exude timidity in their posture, but have very strong opinions and dispositions such that they can sell almost anything and govern the flow of interactions.

Ek
Sabih
user 11049405
Richmond, TX
Post #: 8
Judy,
cool.

Ek,
I hear you when you say there are exceptions to be had between presence and posture. I am curious about how many folks consciously choose to be less powerful though ..