HOUSTONxSHAKERS (TEDxHouston Talks) Message Board › Technology can bring so much good, but can also bring a lot of evil - is the

Technology can bring so much good, but can also bring a lot of evil - is there a solution?

Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 54
TShakes - I started a conversation on the TED site regarding the imminent threat of 3D printing guns. It may not be feasible now, but we all know that technology is accelerating an amazing pace, this will happen sooner than later. I'd like to see what this community thinks and feels about this topic. Most importantly, I'd like to find a solution, can anyone help?

TED conversation: Can we find a way to prevent an imminent threat for guns produced by 3D printing?
Jack
user 7021514
League City, TX
Post #: 39
What I think, is that if I were to make a list of "evil technologies", 3D printing guns wouldn't even make the Top 50.
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 55
Ok, what would?
Jack
user 7021514
League City, TX
Post #: 40
How about nanotechnology? One concept that I hear about often is the self-replicator. If such a thing is invented, that's probably literally the end of the planet. Push the "start" button, and the blob won't stop until it's eaten the entire planet.

Or if you want to restrict it to technologies that already exist, how about fossil fuels? I'd say there's better than a 50-50 chance that within a century, civilization as we know it will end, and possibly billions of people will die, because of dwindling energy supplies and/or climate change.

Next to those, gun printers are pretty darned tame. I'd say 3D gun printers would barely make a ripple. Think about it...someone would have to be pretty well off to afford his own printer. That's not the kind of person who's likely to be a mass murderer. And even if he were, the damage is limited. Plus, that technology is likely to produce good things to offset the increased violence.

Now, if someone is able to use a 3D printer to make a nuclear weapon, THEN we have ourselves a problem.
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 56
Funny you talk about nanotechnology and biochemical warfare...I'm talking to a speaker now about a talk for us...after football season of course tongue