align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

HOUSTONxSHAKERS (Lover of TED Talks) Message Board › Idea Cooker - Helping our vested interest - education

Idea Cooker - Helping our vested interest - education

A former member
Post #: 2
As indicated, I am writing more on what we discussed in the last part of the meeting this evening. We will discuss more on this topic if and when we get a chance in one of our meetings and draw on to each other’s energy.

English is not my first language, so forgive me for typos if any.

Thanks!, Sean.

Charter (goal) –
1. In schools, how do we make good teachers feel motivated to perform better every day by incentivizing their performance with better rewards?
2. Great teachers can lead to great schools. Not all schools are able to attract the best teachers (or are they), how can we contribute to that on our level?
3. How could we make similar organizations (cancer research / schools / charities) not just depend on donations and be more self sustaining?

Roadmap (from bird’s view- steps)-
1. Clearly identify and define problem -by talking to a school district.
2. Offer to school a possible way of working with them for coming up with a revenue model at no additional cost to them.
3. Discuss among HoustonShakets how can we bag this opportunity and create sustainable solutions in lieu of the above defined problems and charters.
4. Determine what needs to happen in order to execute that solution – resources needed, etc.
5. Suggest to school a path going forward, business plan and an execution schedule.
6. Look for investors to fund the model.

What’s Next -
1. This could be added on to the agenda of the meetups.
2. Take this idea up on the discussion table and dissect it with a goal to refine the approach.
3. Narrow down target area.
4. Form a piecemeal approach and come up with action items.
5. Appoint volunteers to their actions of interest.
6. TBD.
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 58
How would non business minded people like myself volunteer with this? Is this project more like a consultant role? Can you help me understand how the group come together and do a project like this? Sounds interesting!
A former member
Post #: 4
Sure, here is how I see it. I will post more as I think of it. There are both business minded and otherwise activities in this project. When we break our approach down in piecemeal we will have more people activities than business minded activities.

Let’s look at the suggested roadmap above (refer to my first posting above). Action # 1, 2, part of 3 and 5 are going to need extensive surveys and talking to teachers and to people in schools and school districts. Action #6 is an all out activity that every one of us can get involved, once we know what we are going to ask the investors (I will have some leads for us too). We will not need business minded people for these activities. Although I can guide, I am willing to bet that when we as a group start out talking about part of action #3 and 4 (where we would determine what business to run and what’s needed for it), many of us will reinvent ourselves.

What would an action session look like?
1. Houstonshakers volunteers come together to define an approach – 20 minutes
2. We narrow down a questionnaire for teachers – 25 minutes
3. We narrow down a questionnaire for school districts – 25 minutes
4. We discuss the schedule and modus operandi and the who /what / by when -20 minutes
5. Due to changes in the information and evolution of approach that we take the schedule is a living document not a rigid one.
6. Above timing may vary but we got to strictly control times in order to make timely progress.

What will we learn?
1. A greater insight in to what are some of the issues in the schooling systems – as the data now comes from the ‘field’. We will know numbers – such as what would be the extra revenue that schools desire, or any other resources.
2. How to talk to people and get a buy in from them on various issues.
3. How to be defiant in pursuing something that almost seems crazy. How to think of alternatives while still maintaining focus on the end result, which in this case is helping schools and teachers perform better.
4. How to talk to vendors / markets and hire people for the business that would run. I bet everyone that I have met in our group can do this with a pitch we will later define.
5. How to market products / services that we would make /provide in the business.
6. Most importantly how to ruthlessly keep a positive attitude despite the challenges we would come across.
7. And more!

Sorry for a lengthy message, but feel free to opine.
Kary l.
user 74880152
Houston, TX
Post #: 6
Hi, I think this to be a very well thought out plan, and thank you for taking the time to communicate your thoughts. In my limited tenure as a member in this group, however, it seems that a separate meeting needs to happen in order to accomplish what you propose above. That the other meetings should be more related to the content of the TED talks and not to an actual project. It just seems like a lot to do in one meeting, as what you propose should have dedicated time to focus on just developing that undertaking. Just one opinion. Kary
A former member
Post #: 7
I agree with you Kary, this is branching out in to doing stuff by the group besides TED content reviews. I have proposed that we make time for 'DO' sessions. This may be as a separate session or a part of the existing ones.
We could give members a chance to vote on it the next session on how we should handle 'DO' sessions. That's my thought.