Hello fellow hikers,
This incredible journey is starting to burst with popularity, but it has been a favorite to locals now for over 70 years. The raving reviews from everywhere you read, places this is on the Bucket List. This journey should be one of the more awesome hikes we do this Summer. Get ready for a Garden of Paradise hike! This place is beautiful, both the White Box and the Hanging Gardens, and the Rope Swing. However, please read the warnings before RSVP'ing.
1. WARNING: This hike will require you to show up early at 5:30am as to begin the day early. Why? Because it is imperative that we start our hike by 8:30am. Because of the chance of afternoon Monsoons, late starts is just not a wise thing for this hike.
2. WARNING: You will be in Water for a long period of time. If you are afraid of Water, you should not come. There is no way to avoid the water on this hike. You will need to bring a Dry Bag to protect your goods, and good water shoes. A lot of people will be bringing a floatie so they can float down the creek. There are approximately 12-15, 20 -100 yd swims
3. WARNING: You will have to bring a 4WD vehicle or drive with someone who has one. You will be on a long dirt road to reach the Trail Head. Probably about an hour each way. You have been warned. So if you get car sick or what have you, you probably don't want to come.
4. WARNING: If you have a 4WD vehicle, you will driving with the vehicle in 4WD for the majority of that dirt road. If you don't have much experience in driving dirt roads, you probably don't want to make this one your first. Every article you read about this place warns you of how horrible this road condition is.
5. WARNING: Please do not attempt to forgo the Meet Up Location and meet at the Trail Head. Why? Because those dirt roads are Jacked Up, and it is easy to get lost, so to avoid any gambling, please meet up at the Meet up location. The Group will leave at 5:45am.
6. Please have your vehicle fueled up BEFORE you get to the Meet Up location. Please relieve yourself before we leave the casino as we attempt to make Zero stops.
7. It is less than a total of 4 miles round trip, however, it is a slow go because we are canyoneering (Non-Technical), swimming, wading, boulder hopping. The reward is certainly worth the travels. FYI: I will not be doing this hike next year.
8. If we the group gets to large, we will separate in groups of 15. I would not worry to much about that, because there will always be your last minute drops.
9. If you have a good 4WD and are an experienced driver on the rough dirt roads, It would be appreciated if you were to offer transportation.
10. Lunch on the way back in Payson is optional, depending upon how quick or slow the group goes.
11. Keep in mind it will be necessary to make a great pace to the hanging gardens as to beat any Thunderstorm coming in. It is not uncommon for a T-Storm to hit at 12 Noon. Plus, if it starts to rain, it will be imperative to get out off those Dirt Roads ASAP.
15. There is a Rope Swing on this hike as well.