T.O.W.N. - Texas Outdoor Women's Network (Houston chapter) Message Board › Smoky Mountains Fall of 2013

Smoky Mountains Fall of 2013

LyndaTerry
user 77022522
Houston, TX
Post #: 14
Beverly, glad you are serious enough to ask questions. Let's have a Backpacking 101 camping trip first and people can make decisions from there. Many of the trips are via car but I can't imagine over 10 miles in one day, and that's stretching it. We can do a couple of practice runs starting around Aug, Sept. I already have a campsite booked for Lost Maples early Oct and that will be the last one before the trip. I will look up the exact dates so that you can plan for it.

Sounds Great. What money do you need up front and how do I get it to you? How far is the longest back packing trip and how much weight should we carry for this trip. I have to get back in shape. I will be hiking at Huntsville State Park.

Beverly

BEVERLY K.
user 23805652
New Waverly, TX
Post #: 4
What is the best way to get in shape? I just started back walking and put in 5 miles today, Should I get any type of backpack and put a 10lb weight in it. I see that the Houston Sierra club is going to the National Forest this coming Saturday for trail maintenance. Since I live up the road from where they are meeting, I think that I will join them since they want you to bring a day pack.
BEVERLY K.
user 23805652
New Waverly, TX
Post #: 5
I have not heard from anyone else about this trip. I need to know for sure if everyone is going so that I can submit my request for vacation. I also need to know how much money is involved. Since I am a novice I would like to begin purchasing equipment a little each month so I won't have to do it all at one time. What is a good ultralight pack that I can purchase? I am looking at purchasing a slightly used one off of ebay.
BEVERLY K.
user 23805652
New Waverly, TX
Post #: 6

user 23805652
Houston, TX
I have not heard from anyone else about this trip. I need to know for sure if everyone is going so that I can submit my request for vacation. I also need to know how much money is involved. Since I am a novice I would like to begin purchasing equipment a little each month so I won't have to do it all at one time. What is a good ultralight pack that I can purchase? I am looking at purchasing a slightly used one off of ebay.

Beverly Kmiecik
LyndaTerry
user 77022522
Houston, TX
Post #: 15
Beverly, some how, I have missed your posts and have failed to get back with you. Would you like to meet at Huntsville State Park soon and discuss? We could spend the day bike, running or hiking and discuss the trip over dinner. I would rather be home on Sunday so that I can attend church. Other close parks are Brazos Bend, Lake Livingston and Stephen F. Austin. Depending on where you live, we could car pool and discuss the trip in route Let me know.
LyndaTerry
user 77022522
Houston, TX
Post #: 16
Ladies, if you want to start getting in shape for this trip, I would recommend a couch to five k for beginners. Do classes at your gym, different classes. For me, I am doing Power Pump, Body Combat, Yoga, Swimming, and I also run. Oh yeah, I cycle to. If you have never backpacked, you can actually put your pack on your back and hike on the treadmill, yes, you should load it with at least 30 lbs of stuff. Need a pack, I suggest a trip to REI unless you know exactly what you need. Then you can order off line. Let me caution you, equipment is very expensive so start now. Please please only buy backpacking equipment, not camping equipment or you will be miserable. If you have questions for me, you can e mail me at lfterry2010@gmail.com as it seems I have accidentally overlooked some of these posts. Honestly, I really do not know the cost and probably will not be calculating it. The biggest expense is the rental of a car and gas. We will be sleeping in sleeping bags and maybe one hotel the night before we return just so that we have a safe trip home. I am only willing to ravel with three other women in one SUV and that may be too many. Therefore the cost will be split by four. I am doing this trip if I have to do it alone so you are welcome to join me.
user 77022522
Houston, TX
Post #: 8

OK, here is a preliminary peek at the trip:
1. Saturday morning, leave Houston, drive about halfway and camp out at a State Park.
2. Sunday morning- Drive in via Gatlinburg Tn
3. Monday early - Do a car tour of Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. Hike the Rainbow Falls trail(5.4 miles). Hike 8 miles to Ramsay Cascades.
4. Tuesday - Stay on the Tn side and follow Little River Road Cades Cove. Hike to Abrams Falls or trec to Rocky Top. We can also ride horses, rent bikes oor enjoy a carriage ride.
5. Wednesday - Drive to Clingman's Dome Road , hike to scenic overlook(the highest peak in the Smokies). Then hike to the third tallest peak. Return to Alum Cave Trail Parking area and hike 5.5 miles to spend the night at Le Conte Lodge, if we can afford it.
6. Thursday - Hike back down and continue alone Newfound Gap Road and stop at Newfound Gap to read the plaque placed here in memory of Laura Rockefeller before exciting the park.
7. Friday - a full day of recovery and you are free to rest for the trip back home or whatever you like. Possible staying in a cabin so the drivers can get a good night's rest.
8. Saturday Start back toward Houston. Drive halfway and spend the night.
9. Sunday arrive back in Houston.
10. Monday - God's willing I will take this day off work to recover.

In other words, this will be a strenuous trip. You would need to be in shape to have fun. However, if you just want to be dropped off somewhere we could possibly arrange to pick you back up on our way in. Sounds like fun. There is a cabin on Living Social right now and I will see if it will work for us. I hope so.
a couch to five k for beginners. Do classes at your gym, different classes. For me, I am doing Power Pump, Body Combat, Yoga, Swimming, and I also run. Oh yeah, I cycle to. If you have never backpacked, you can actually put your pack on your back and hike on the treadmill, yes, you should leao it with at least 30 lbs of stuff. Need a pack, I suggest a trip to REI unless Posted Feb 24, 2013 9:47 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 77022522
Houston, TX

OK, here is a preliminary peek at the trip:
1. Saturday morning, leave Houston, drive about halfway and camp out at a State Park.
2. Sunday morning- Drive in via Gatlinburg Tn
3. Monday early - Do a car tour of Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. Hike the Rainbow Falls trail(5.4 miles). Hike 8 miles to Ramsay Cascades.
4. Tuesday - Stay on the Tn side and follow Little River Road Cades Cove. Hike to Abrams Falls or trec to Rocky Top. We can also ride horses, rent bikes oor enjoy a carriage ride.
5. Wednesday - Drive to Clingman's Dome Road , hike to scenic overlook(the highest peak in the Smokies). Then hike to the third tallest peak. Return to Alum Cave Trail Parking area and hike 5.5 miles to spend the night at Le Conte Lodge, if we can afford it.
6. Thursday - Hike back down and continue alone Newfound Gap Road and stop at Newfound Gap to read the plaque placed here in memory of Laura Rockefeller before exciting the park.
7. Friday - a full day of recovery and you are free to rest for the trip back home or whatever you like. Possible staying in a cabin so the drivers can get a good night's rest.
8. Saturday Start back toward Houston. Drive halfway and spend the night.
9. Sunday arrive back in Houston.
10. Monday - God's willing I will take this day off work to recover.

In other words, this will be a strenuous trip. You would need to be in shape to have fun. However, if you just want to be dropped off somewhere we could possibly arrange to pick you back up on our way in. Sounds like fun. There is a cabin on Living Social right now and I will see if it will work for us. I hope so.
know exactly what you need. I
Kathryn P.
user 26040562
Cypress, TX
Post #: 1
Very interested and have all the gear including large suv. But need to confirm CO travel dates before commiting. How many in the group so far?
BEVERLY K.
user 23805652
New Waverly, TX
Post #: 7
I would love to meet. I live about 8 miles from Huntsville State Park. I will be attending the August 17 trip. I think you answered my questions. I am working out on an elliptical and can begin carrying the 30 lb weight as you suggested.

Beverly
BEVERLY K.
user 23805652
New Waverly, TX
I went to REI and was looking at some ultralight backpacking equipment. The person at REI recommended of course their Flash women's backpack for $179.00. I read the reviews about it and it said that the hip belt cause some problems for people. I found a Granite Gear Blaze A.C.60 backpack that had good recommendations. What is a good backpack to purchase?

Beverly Kmiecik
LyndaTerry
user 77022522
Houston, TX
Post #: 17
Ladies, I just discovered that KOA has a two bedroom cabin with a bathroom and kitchen in Pigeon Forge. We would be able to stay here Monday thru Thursday night as they are booked Friday and Saturday. Now, this is where it gets tricky. This is where I will be staying on my trip. The question is, will I stay in a tent or in this cabin and I own enough equipment to be comfortable in either. However, if you are interested in the trip and want to stay in a cabin, I suggest that we book now. I am willing to bok with three other women. The total cost is $650.00 and it is do 100% at the time of booking. That would be $162.50 pp and $40.62 per night. Please let me know ASAP if you are interested, I don't want to miss the opportunity if this is what you want.