TRAIL RUNNERS OF LOUISVILLE Message Board › Nighttime Trail Running

Nighttime Trail Running

Kriston
user 31604522
Louisville, KY
Post #: 1
I have been wanting to run trails at night but (other than not wanting to go alone) I wasn't sure if it is even allowed in certain areas. What are our options for allowable nighttime trail runs?
A former member
Post #: 11
It's fine in the parks. There are a fair number of people who run (and even bike) the trails in Cherokee and Seneca parks at night.
Jim
user 9153453
Group Organizer
Louisville, KY
Post #: 3
Kriston, you can run in any of the Olmsted parks at night. Tom Sawyer closes at dusk, and they do enforce the nighttime ban. Jefferson Forest is technically closed at dark, but I have run the Siltstone in the middle of the night before. Not sure the trail is off limits as there is no barrier there, but the road to the lake has a locked gate at night. We do a 7AM run in Cherokee on Saturdays - it'll be still dark then for the next several weeks at least. A couple of my most memorable runs last winter were in fresh snow in Cherokee at night, without headlamp - pretty surreal!
Kriston
user 31604522
Louisville, KY
Post #: 2
Thanks for the replies, Derek and Jim! smile This is on my "to-do" list for 2012.

Once I get my pace up a bit more, I'll join you guys--right now I'm just too slow to keep up. If you remember, you passed us last week and we started at 7:30! :)

Jim, I'm training for Lovin' the Hills, so a lot of my running from now on will be out at the Forest. I can't imagine the Siltstone at night, that had to be pretty amazing!
A former member
Post #: 3
I too am interested in night runs. Maybe there will be some posted in the meet up?
Jim
user 9153453
Group Organizer
Louisville, KY
Post #: 6
I love running in the dark! Our 7:00 AM Saturday runs are in the dark half the year, but nobody shows up. What suggestions might get people out there? Running at 9:00 PM seems a bit late for most folks.......