Trail and River Rovers of East Carolina (TRREC) Message Board › Questions, Info., & Tips › What do you need to get started camping with TRREC?
|A former member||
We refer to non-backpacking camping trips as "car camping". Most often, you will be able to drive your car right up to the camping area. If not, you may have to carry your gear a couple of hundred yards. Still, car camping is luxury compared to backpacking because you don't have to worry about the weight of your gear. Camping spaces will almost always have picnic tables, a fire ring, access to potable (safe to drink) water, and restrooms. Sometimes there will be a shower, other times it's "primitive camping" which means outhouses instead of restrooms and no shower.* Check the specific listing for amenities available.
What you'll need:
2. Sleeping Bag
3. Sleeping Pad under your sleeping bag (the sleeping pad not only is a lot more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, it also insulates you from the cold ground.
4. Headlamp for seeing a night (these are very inexpensive nowadays and can be purchased almost anywhere. Cost between $10-$20)
5. Portable gas stove recommended, but not always necessary, as many camping sites have charcoal grills.
6. Folding chair
7. Portable camping shower. It's a three liter water bag with a hanger on one end and a shower head on the other end. Use with biodegradable soap.
* Some of the most beautiful and least crowded camping areas are primitive" camping.
Edited by User 4,317,474 on Feb 2, 2010 1:02 AM