Tacoma Permaculture Meetup Message Board › Are their any key peninsula permies out there?

Are their any key peninsula permies out there?

A former member
Post #: 1
hey! I'm at the end of the key peninsula, we've got an exciting property of 105 acres to mess around with, but were only working on about 1 at the moment haha.

two years ago my friends and I started a sustainability and stewardship program at Sound View Camp, and we have been self learning ever sense. I'm super interested in visiting other places around the area, and also having people come out to our place! Were going to be getting goats in the spring, and revamping our chicken coop setup. We also have some pretty great raised bed/hugalculture systems that have been working really well for us that we would love to share with others.

some other projects we will be working on soon will be:

a solar/rocketstove/compost water heating system
a cob oven
a sand bag goat shed
an incentive rotating chicken garden paddock system

something we will be working on for fun is a burn out canoo... sort of thing. were pretty much just sitting around a log that we have been burning out for awhile, chatting and eating grilled things.

If any one wants to come out to our place, either to work on projects with us, or just to chill in one of the buildings around the camp and have a tasty dinner and talk permaculture, maybe watch some movies or whatever on a 10 foot projector screen, let me know.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Mike,

I just built my hoophouse about a month ago and looking to build a rocket mass heater to heat the hoophouse to include a way to provide hot water use so that would be a cool project to collaborate on. I'm hoping to get started on this in the next few weeks but if you've started on yours I'd like to check it out if that's okay.

Mike
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,
I live in Home on a 5-acre rental and have carved out a few raised beds from the blackberry/scotchbroom forest for vegies and flowers. I always have way more than I can use myself and would like to learn more about preserving and sharing extras. I have been collecting old windows, pallets and lumber to attempt to make a greenhouse-appearing structure, which should be interesting considering my lack of building skills! I lost a lot of food to bugs since I want to grow organically and need to learn how to save my harvest from those little munchers without using poison.

I also have a few alpacas, I use their manure in the gardens and use their fiber to spin and crochet hats, scarves, etc. I used to raise chickens both for meat and eggs.

I would be interested in learning more about gardening, aquaculture, etc.
Kathie
A former member
Post #: 2
that's really cool! I'd love to get together and work on stuff. we did jam last year, which turned out pretty well, and this year we ended up freezing about 4 gallons of black berries.

we really jumped into all of this about 2 years ago, so we have a little bit of experience building various things, with a lot of trial and error experience building with recycled stuff.

we also have a LOT of experience with clearing areas of blackberries and the like. We currently have a large scale experiment going on with black plastic (covered with cardboard to keep the sun off of it)

We're planning on getting some fiber goats this coming spring, so if you know what your doing with harvesting, spinning and what have you, it would be great to exchange experience!

we have an industrial sized kitchen here, maybe we could meet up and do some canning, pickling and jamming together.

Just let me know if you would like to come out and see what we have going on here, and then if you want we can come out and check out what you have going on too! maybe make a lunch of it or something.

best days for me are Monday-Wednesday, those are my volunteer days, then Thursday through Sunday I get paid to cook in Gig Harbor, and usually work afternoon to late evening those days.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Mike,

I just built my hoophouse about a month ago and looking to build a rocket mass heater to heat the hoophouse to include a way to provide hot water use so that would be a cool project to collaborate on. I'm hoping to get started on this in the next few weeks but if you've started on yours I'd like to check it out if that's okay.

Mike

we do have a design in mind, but we haven't actually started building it. Do you have any trouble finding clay soil on your property?

I definitely think that would be great to work with you on!

how are you planning on incorporating the hot water?

A former member
Post #: 2
Just let me know if you would like to come out and see what we have going on here, and then if you want we can come out and check out what you have going on too! maybe make a lunch of it or something.

best days for me are Monday-Wednesday, those are my volunteer days, then Thursday through Sunday I get paid to cook in Gig Harbor, and usually work afternoon to late evening those days.

Hi,
I think that would be fun to get together. I've been experimenting more with lacto-fermentation and have started a couple of things which turned out pretty good. I acquired some kefir grains and just love making kefir smoothies. My schedule is M-F 8-5 in gig harbor, so weekends are best for me, sounds like we might have to come up with some creative scheduling.