Once you have made your payment and are confirmed for the trip, if for any reason you need to cancel, you will be required to find a replacement from the wait list or from the group to go in your place. You can then collect the amount you paid from that person. Once you have found your replacement, please contact Robert to notify him that you have designated a replacement, received your money & he will then have that person added to the trip.
ABOUT THE TRIP
We have 30 permits available for a 3 night stay in Havasupai the full moon weekend of 10/18, 10/19 and 10/20. Cost per person for the entire weekend is $101.00. The plan is to drive up to the trail head Thursday night after work (10/17), sleep and then make the 8 mile gradual, downhill hike to the village. We'll stop in the village, pick up our permits and then hike on the last 2 miles to the campground.
Once camp is set up, everyone is free to roam about, enjoy the falls, take day hikes, settle in a quiet spot & read a book, whatever your hearts desire. I would like to hike down to the Colorado on Saturday, but this will depend on several factors, weather included. We will also have all day Sunday to hike, relax, swim (if it's warm enough...which is unlikely, unless you're in from Minnesota or... Alaska!) or just hang out. Come early Monday morning, we'll pack up and make the 10 mile trip out.
About the hike: The first 1 1/2 miles in is switchbacks. The remaining 8 1/2 miles is a very gradual downhill hike through mostly dry canyon that feels quite flat much of the time. I would recommend carrying at least 3 liters of water for the trip down, but capacity for at least 4 or more liters as you may require more water for the trip out.
About camp: Campground is first come, first serve. No campfires are permitted. However, camp stoves are allowed. There are picnic tables at many of the sites that will make cooking a bit easier. The campgrounds have compost toilets and a faucet for drinking water. The river is typically quite clear, so we will be able to filter water directly from it. There is also a village general store & cafe where water, beverages and snacks can be purchased (back in the village, 2 miles from the campground). Temps average upper 70's in the day and upper 40's in the night. I will be watching weather reports as the trip date draws nearer for rain & other conditions.
About the full moon: Most of the websites I've checked indicate that the full moon will peak at approximately 1:30 AM Friday night/Saturday morning. I'll confirm the time as the date draws nearer for anyone that is interested in bringing camera equipment to capture the rising of the moon over Havasu Falls.
About the drive: We will meet in the Pyle Adult Rec Center parking lot (south of the center) which is directly west (behind) the library. Here we can arrange carpooling for anyone that is interested in sharing rides. The drive there is approximately 5 hours as I remember, possibly longer with traffic.
About your reservation: You will be required to submit your payment by check or cash either at the trip meeting or before the trip meeting. When we arrive in the Havasupai village, one payment will be made on behalf of everyone. If for any reason you are unable to attend and you have not yet paid, feel free to change your RSVP. If you have already paid and change your mind, please keep your RSVP set to "yes" and either post a comment on the event that you are looking for a person to take your place or, contact a member of the waiting list to make arrangements with them to go in your place and to pay you the fee. Once payment is made, that person will have to contact Robert to get on the trip and have the RSVP updated. This is a large group with a long waiting list and I want to avoid cancellations and no-shows.
If we have time at the trip planning meeting, we will discuss gear sharing (stoves, water filters, etc) or to address any questions about what to bring or how to prepare.