Hike: Pyramid Trail, South Mountain Park, Ahwatukee
Date: Thursday, October 6,[masked]:00 pm (leave 6:10 pm)
E Chandler Blvd & S 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85045
The city of Phoenix has developed a number of little known yet scenic trails on the far west side of Ahwatukee (south side of South Mountain) as part of a land purchase and development called "620 Park".
The Pyramid Trail is a 3 mile out and back (total 6 miles) with a total elevation climb of 1,100 feet and a short elevation climb of about 800' in one mile. There are scenic views of Ahwatukee and Chandler from the top of Pyramid Trail.
The trail follows a ridge line and meets up with the National Trail, where there is a short 0.5 mile climb and a Panoramic View of Phoenix to the north and Ahwatukee to the south. This makes a good turn around point.
It would be fun to meet at Loco Patrons in Ahwatukee after the hike, a local favorite (on the corner of W Chandler Blvd and S Desert Foothills Parkway) for post hike carb loading.
Directions to the Trailhead:
- Head South on I10 East (towards Tucson)
- Take Exit 161 to merge onto E Pecos Road and go about 8 miles on E Pecos Road
- Turn Right onto S 17th Avenue and go about 1 mile
- Turn Left onto Chandler Blvd and you have arrived at the end of Chandler Blvd (there is a 20 car parking lot).
- The Trailhead is at the very end of Chandler Blvd.