Tallahassee Nerds and Geeks (TNG) Message Board › Food stuffs for TNG's Meet-Ups (allergies and/or prefs)

Food stuffs for TNG's Meet-Ups (allergies and/or prefs)

Lyssa
LyssaJ1
Tallahassee, FL
Post #: 9
So, in light of us gathering at different folks' houses and, of course, bringing food for all to enjoy - I know we covered a little bit of this at the first, for-real meeting. What are preferences, what are allergies, and what are EWWW? Okay, leave off the "ew" but "I could live without" sorts of ideas (smile!) Hopefully we'll all be willing to try new stuff on occasion, but for those who cook or attempt to cook, we don't want to blatantly poison someone biggrin

I'll go first...

Dislikes: liver, beets, anything that looks back at me...oh, and tomatoes, but oddly enough will eat tomatoe derivatives.

Dish I make that others chow-down: raw, stuffed mushrooms with a shredded chicken mixture (light mayo & Mrs. Dash)
A former member
Post #: 3
Ooooh, food! I am honestly up for anything, with a few exceptions...

No-no's: mangoes (allergic), sweet potatoes (mortal enemy), cauliflower & really super spicy stuff. I can take it mild-medium - I rather taste the food itself and not be overwhelmed with spice.

Dish I make that others chow-down: our "meal rotation" includes a veggie biryani, burgers, butter chicken, curries, brownies, the aforementioned pineapple upside-down cake & various others I can't think of right now biggrin

Ryan
user 8112114
Tallahassee, FL
Post #: 7
Ooooh, food! I am honestly up for anything, with a few exceptions...

No-no's: mangoes (allergic), sweet potatoes (mortal enemy), cauliflower & really super spicy stuff. I can take it mild-medium - I rather taste the food itself and not be overwhelmed with spice.

Dish I make that others chow-down: our "meal rotation" includes a veggie biryani, burgers, butter chicken, curries, brownies, the aforementioned pineapple upside-down cake & various others I can't think of right now biggrin

You forgot Dirty Rice, and the awesome sausage-pasta concoction. Oh, and we have a Costco membership (it is right across the street from us) They have good pizza and other ready to eat stuff...
Scraps
scrapsoflife
Thomasville, GA
Good thinking, Lyssa! Definitely helps to know any food issues that are out there:

Can't haves: caffeine & tomato products

Not supposed to have but can occasionally cheat: bananas, eggplant, kiwi fruit, avocado

Don't like: artificial sweeteners of any stripe

Dishes I make that others chow-down: Well, first there's the crack trio (so named by a friend)

• Bacon Crack (bacon-wrapped artichoke hearts
  • Black Bean Crack (spicy black bean dip)
  • Potato Crack (seasoned potato slices topped with cheese, bacon and green onions)

Aside from that, well... I'm a trained chef (but not a food snob!) so (if I can say this without it sounding conceited... probably not but, oh well) pretty much everything I make is devoured.
Phil
user 12941811
Group Organizer
Tallahassee, FL
Post #: 2
I'm pretty flexible on food. Likewise I don't go for spicy, otherwise, most anything is fair game. Unfortunately I'm not much of a cook. I can grill stuff and of course microwave anything.

I think that, as long as we provide a variety, then everyone will be fine. =)
Joe N.
JoeNewberry
Acworth, GA
I didn't get to be this size by being picky about my food preferences. I will eat just about anything you set before me. Just don't be surprised if I don't eat a lot of it, due to the whole calorie watching thing.

Dislikes: I've never been fond of the smell of collard greens, I think that covers it.

Dish I make that others chow-down: Hamburgers (Patented Joe Burgers, as a friend calls them), super sized salads

Everything else I make tends to be prepared from a box.

What's the consensus on pizza? There's a place called Panhandle Pizza about a mile from the house that builds 16" pizzas to order. It's like a Subway for pizza. They put it together right in front of you and give it to you raw. You take it home and cook it yourself. The taste is not perfect, but the value is pretty good and I like supporting them cause they're local and not a chain.
Alicia N.
user 10953205
Duluth, GA
Post #: 4
Unfortunately I have a lot of dietary restrictions that I'm supposed to keep up with because my body doesn't like it when I eat things.

NoNo's: Dairy, especially milk or ice cream. I can tolerate cheese ok and I cheat on this one sometimes because I LOVE cheese. I can also tolerate some foods that are made with milk, like cakes, etc. but I can't handle milk by itself. I also should not eat anything really spicy or acidic. Not supposed to have red meat either. Preferably nothing fried. Basically I'm supposed to eat really bland foods. sad

Dislikes: sweet sauces or meats about covers it.

Likes: I adore dark chocolate and fresh fruits and vegetables. I love lemon flavored anything, even though it's acidic. As long as I stay away from overly spicy foods and dairy, I'm generally ok.

Dish I make that others chow down: Joe is more of a cook than I am, but I can make Watergate Salad (it's a dessert for those not familiar) and a good antipasto salad.

Lyssa
LyssaJ1
Tallahassee, FL
Post #: 11

What's the consensus on pizza? There's a place called Panhandle Pizza about a mile from the house that builds 16" pizzas to order. It's like a Subway for pizza. They put it together right in front of you and give it to you raw. You take it home and cook it yourself. The taste is not perfect, but the value is pretty good and I like supporting them cause they're local and not a chain.

I can do pizza 'cause they will always be someone around I can give toppings to, if I don't like them =) I.e. cooked mushrooms (raw - yes, cooked - no...yes, I'm odd...aren't we all? ;))

Do they have any non-acidic sauce for some of our more-sensitive tummies?

Oh, and we have a CostCo membership too...so if we need bulk-whatever, one or more of us in the group can go shopping :)
Scraps
scrapsoflife
Thomasville, GA
Post #: 8
I love the sound of a subway-for-pizza place, that's a great idea. I'd have to get one sans sauce or a white pizza, but it sounds like they'd be flexible enough to do that, too.
Joe N.
JoeNewberry
Acworth, GA
Post #: 11
Alicia thinks that the last time we were there that they offered a white sauce. I believe they would be happy to sell the pizza with no sauce at all, though. We're going to drop by there tonight or tomorrow to get specifics.

The downside to buying several pizzas from them is that we'll have to wait for each one to cook. They're really too big to cook more than one at a time. So someone would be getting fresh, hot pizza while someone else would have to wait.