May 5, 2013 · 10:30 AM
This location is shown only to members
It's been much too long since we've been here!
Wat Monkolrataranaram (Thai Temple, Tampa) holds the Sunday Market every Sunday between approximately 10:30 am and 2:00 pm at the Temple. The market includes a wide variety of Thai food (seasoned to your taste). There is also a booth that sells plants and fresh vegetables that are difficult to find anywhere else
Contrary to rumor, all Thai food is not super spicy. Most of the food can be seasoned to taste from mild to red hot. The food is authentic Thai prepared by Temple volunteers. The menu includes:
- Grilled pork or chicken on a stick
- Pad Thai - vegetable and noodles (vegetarian-friendly)
- Various chicken curry dishes with vegetables
- Spring rolls (a big favorite of our visitors): chicken, shrimp or vegetable
- "Guiteow" - Beef or pork noodle soup
- "Som Dom" - Thai Papaya salad. This can be seasoned as spice or bland as you like.
- Fried bananas, taro root, and sweet potatoes
- A wide variety of Thai deserts
- Thai tea and coffee
- Cold soda and water
You may enter the temple but please observe certain protocols. Women: Cover your shoulders and don't wear short shorts (do we wear those anymore?) Remove your shoes before entering. If you'd like to sit, do not aim the soles of your feet toward the statues. Take photos quietly and quickly.
Note: It can get quite crowded here. I'll do my best to be noticeable but if you don't find the group, don't fret. We might be walking around the grounds or waiting in line for food. Relax and enjoy the atmosphere and the incredible food. I'll email my phone number to attendees on Saturday so you can call or text me if you can't find us. Also, please check the meetup site Saturday night/Sunday morning for possible cancellation due to weather.