- Eat delicious local food
- Sip delicious crafty beer,
- Set your own donation for your beta release TechX shirt
- Enjoy EPIC SCIENCE HISTORY RAPS.
For a suggested donation of $5 at the door*...
1. Why this 27 year-old started parodying popular hip hop songs while in college; turning songs about rims into songs about RIMS (reproductive isolating mechanisms)
2. How he won over Kickstarter and raised $13,000 to help launch his project: Battle Rap Histories of Epic Science
3. --> This. (because Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson said so)
Also hear from...
• The Level Playing Field (LPFI), the beneficiary of your donations from that evening: an Oakland based non-profit that's eliminating barriers to advanced educational opportunities for students of color and girls in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
• Party Corps, a San Francisco based nonprofit whose mission is to connect the public to good causes through music. Party Corps harnesses the power of music to bring people together, facilitate dialogue, and motivate engagement.
About Tom McFadden:
Tom McFadden is a former Fulbright scholar and Stanford alum that received his Masters in Science Communication from the Centre of Science Communication at the University of Otago in New Zealand. Tom's method of using rap battle videos to educate kids has been reported by national news outlets like the New York Times and National Public Radio (NPR). He is currently teaching 8th grade biology at the Nueva School in Hillsborough, California.
Our first run of t-shirts will be debuted at this event! "Name your own donation" pricing will take place inside of the event.*
*100% of proceeds from all donations will benefit the Level Playing Field Institute.
This event will be live-streamed.
6:15 PM: Delicious local food, craft beer, music and conversation
7:00 PM: Tom McFadden
7:30 PM: Party Corps in conversation with The Level Playing Field Institute
7:50 PM: Q and A
This is our second TechXploration for a Cause, where we select a nonprofit that is doing amazing work in our local community and we craft a TechXploration in support of them.
At our first, we enjoyed a craft beer party with Yelp and raised $1600 for Valley Verde!