Jul 13, 2013 · 8:30 AM
This location is shown only to members
Join your hiking mates for a one-of-kind trek through the Tennessee/Alabama Walls of Jericho wilderness. Warning: you will scramble off-trail, you will climb tall ridges, you will get wet, and you will be tested by the elements. Sounds like fun to me!
MEETUP Time @ CARPOOL LOCATION 8:30 am (CT): Cracker Barrel parking lot in Murfreesboro, off I-24 Exit #81B.
DRIVE TIME :1.5 hours from Murfreesboro carpool. We should arrive at the Alabama trailhead by 10:15am (CT)
Cost: Donation of 1 dollar is appreciated---this helps to defray the monthly cost of our website. You can also donate anytime online.
Hike Time: ~6to 7 hours
Hike Distance: 11 to 12 miles. Exact mileage to be determined.
Rating: Strenuous to Difficult, trails + exploratory. Highlights may include but are not limited to: marked trails, off-trail bushwhacking, scrambling among boulders, and stream crossings.
I-24 East to Exit 127.
Turn right towards Winchester, Hwy 64
Turn south (left) on to Hwy 16
Look to your right for a gravel parking lot with Tennessee Walls of Jericho Trailhead kiosk posted. (If you found the Alabama Walls of Jericho parking lot, then you have gone too far south).
Google Map Directions
- Offer your carpool driver no less than $15 to $20 cash for gas, vehicle usage, and driving services (Gas cost $3.20/gallon as of this writing).
- Make no mistake, this should be a rugged day. Bring plenty of water and/or method to filter creek water along the way.
- I have hiked this route only once before, so if you are looking for a hike to join with a clear, transparent, easily followed, established agenda---then this long day hike is NOT for you.
- No dogs, no kids under 13 allowed, unless you can convince me otherwise.
- Post hike meal optional---to be determined.
Be sure to bring your headlamp (just in case), water, and sense of adventure!