It takes a lot of volunteers to make the 9th Annual Hike for the Homeless a success. And we are hoping that our group can help make this happen! They will try to assign you in the requested area, but may have to move people around depending on need. Most volunteer roles allow you to also hike with your team. To sign up to volunteer please RSVP with your top 2 choices for volunteer roles and your email address. (If you are also hiking with our team, please make sure you sign up here: http://hike4homeless.kintera.org/tennesseehikinggroup)
• Event Setup—Help assemble the hike area, such as tents, tables, chairs, banners, etc. We need a lot of help in this area! Arrival around 7 a.m. (Can still hike with team.)
• Welcome/Directional Greeters—Help those arriving find their way to the event site by offering directional assistance. Arrival around 7:30 - 7:45 a.m. (Can still hike with team)
• Hiker Registration Table—Help staff check in hikers and direct them to the specific areas. Arrival around 7:30 to 7:45 a.m. to help set up the area and get instructions on the check in process. (Can still hike with team.)
• Hike T-shirt Table—Hand out t-shirts to those individuals who donated at least $25. We usually do two shifts of this: 1) Arrival around 7:30/7:45 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. to set up t-shirts by sizes and get instructions on process. Hand out t-shirts. 2) 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (usually ends sooner) to hand out t-shirts and pack up as event ends. (Those on the first shift can still hike.)
• Trail Guides—Guide the hikers on the trails to assure safety directional guidance to hikers. Arrival around 8/8:30 a.m. Will have to hike the trail to your assigned post. Once all hikers have passed, you gather directional signs in your area and hike back down. (Cannot hike with the team on this assignment)
• Food Tent—Help set up/ clean up the food area. Provide directional help and oversight for the food station for breakfast/lunch. There are 2 shifts for this. 1) 7:30 to 10:00 a.m. help set up area and set out bfast foods; do some set up for lunch. 2) 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Help with lunch distribution; help clean up/pack up area. (Those on the first shift can still hike.)
• Event Cleanup—Help disassemble the hike area, such as tents, tables, chairs, banners, etc. We ask all volunteers to help with this, but also need quite a few assigned individuals. Clean up starts around 11 a.m. -- we are usually loaded/packed up by 1:00/1:30 p.m. (Can still hike with team)
They are having a Patron's Party on October 10th. The tickets are going for $50.00 each. Each person from our group who volunteers through this event is offered a free ticket!
About Safe Haven
The Hike for the Homeless benefits Safe Haven Family Shelter, the only shelter-to-housing program of its kind in Middle Tennessee that accepts the entire homeless family. The staff works to keep families together and provides comprehensive services that empower them to achieve lasting self-sufficiency. Safe Haven Family Shelter’s comprehensive approach is one of service, compassion, trauma-informed care and evidence-based practices. More information can be found at www.safehaven.org.