Adventure at the
Shake off that 2012 hangover and join us New Year's Day for a hike!
Carpool #1 : 10:00 am (CT) Target parking lot off exit 59 (Bell Road/Antioch), I-24
Carpool #2: 10:35 am (CT) Cracker Barrel parking lot off exit 81B (Church St/Murfreesboro), I-24.
Difficulty Level: Moderate to Strenuous because of the uneven creek terrain and slippery rocks element around the Falls . Difficult to Dangerous if you try to climb a wet, rapidly moving waterfall. See Agenda for more details on difficulty.
Hiking Distance: 5-6 miles
Drive Time: 45 minutes from Murfreesboro Carpool
Directions from Antioch
- Where are we going? This will not be a straight forward trail hike. We'll get a little fitness in with some brief climbs over rocks, small walls, drop into waterfall sections off the established trails...Wall Trail, Little Falls, Old River Channel Trail, Little Duck River Loop, Old Stone Trail, Big Falls, and Bluehole Falls. The order of attractions is subject to change, subject to additions or deletions, and adjustments in the agenda may be made spontaneously by your Event Organizer. (NOTE: Agenda--subject to change based on weather and water level conditions!!! Bring extra pair or two of dry socks and shoes for the ride home!)
- You may have been to Old Stone Fort State Park before, but you may not have hiked it this way before. A couple of these falls have obscured views from the trail bluffs, so the best way, if not the ONLY way to see them is to get out in the Duck River. Consider bringing your water shoes or sandals to change into for long stretches. Me personally, I rarely change out of my hikers, and just let them dry out.
- Might be a good idea to pack your camera in a watertight case or waterproof bag---while I will try to honor those who want to stay dry, there may be occasions where it is simply easier, quicker and safer to walk in the creek to cross. I like to improvise.
- No dogs or kids under 13 are allowed on this hike.
- Please offer your carpool driver 10 to 15 dollars cash money to cover for gas and vehicle use.
- As always, please RSVP with integrity. If you're signed up then find you cannot attend, go online and change your status to "Can't Go". This helps your Organizer and those members on the Waiting List to plan accordingly.
- OPTIONAL: post hike group grub grab at Manchester or after we return to the carpool(s).