Texas Rock Climbing Message Board › Email from Shawn about 'lack of leaving feedback on previous climbing events'

Email from Shawn about 'lack of leaving feedback on previous climbing events'

A former member
Post #: 10
Meetup Message from: Shawn, Organizer of Austin's Indoor / Outdoor Rock Climbing Community
Positive/negative feedback

First let me say that I am appreciate the feedback.

I do not know if you understad the history of this group. It was created by Laura F. It was then passed to Derek S when Laura took a job in Houston. When Derek decided to cut back on climbing I volunteered to take over. None of us wanted to see the group die off as we have made many friends over the past almost two years the group has been around.

While I understand your gripe about the positive/negative, I personally am not the kind of person to post all kinds of feedback. Its just not my style. I hope you can understand this. I have set the group up in such a way as the members ( not just the organizers ) have a lot of control. Any member has the ability to sugest a meetup. Any member has the ability to post with little to no censoring. The only censoring that has EVER been done was to ban one user from the group due to sexual harassment.

I like the fact that you have suggested meetups. From what I see you have had two successful suggestions with a good turnout. With a total of 10 meetups attended. Keep up the good work. The whole purpose of this site is to make new friends with similar interests.

In conclusion I would like to let you know that running a meetup group cost money. It is not free. Anual cost is $144 and I pay that out of my own pocket not asking for anything in return.

~Shawn

RESPONSE
Brian Chance
12:18 AM (16 minutes ago)

to scoughlin1
SC,
Thank you for informing me of the history of the 'group' and for paying that outstanding bill of $$$ 144 out of pocket. I will try my best to improve my meet up / to show up ratio; perhaps you can email me suggestions on how 'climber's' can give back to this 'group and and other(s) and that which they do'.?

In short, I wish more credit was given where credit is due (on this site) to those expanding their knowledge and excitement of climbing! Positive feedback is such an important validation to new climbers; especially when it comes from such a "community organized projects"!!!! I hope to see more validation online in the future to improve our passion and sport!!!! This was my only complaint if you missed it. Best.
Kind regards
Brian A. S.
Roman C.
user 29494292
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I would like to chime in and explain that as an organizer and assistant admin for the site, I feel that providing any feedback, be it positive or negative, for an event is not our place. Feedback is supposed to be provided by the members of the group that went to the event to either give praise, or tell the organizer of that event what could have been done to improve the event as a whole.

For an organizer to give praise to an event that they did not attend provides nothing but what I would consider self inflation. When a potential new member looks at our web page for a clue as to how well received a meet-up group is, seeing thumbs up from the people that created the event is generally seen in a negative light. What most potential additions to our group are looking for are honest responses from the general attendees.

I understand that a number of members of the group can not attend the usual Monday and Wednesday night events due to work schedules or other personal matters and, as such, I have always stated that any member of the group can schedule a meet-up at any time and we will approve it. Because of this, many events have been posted that neither Shawn nor myself have been to which have been very successful, and I feel that to give any praise to the organizers of those events is doing that organizer a dis-service. Any praise should be from the members of the meet-up and given solely to the organizer who presided over that event.

While I understand wanting to be praised for your efforts, to be praised by organizers publicly on our site essentially equates to internet shilling. Any praise that you should truly be proud of should come from other members, not Shawn or myself.

TL;DR: Organizers do not provide feedback, members do.
Chad C.
user 37483262
Round Rock, TX
If the only reason you are organizing a meetup is to get praise from people. then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. And since the admins of this site did not attend, they would have no real input on the matter. The people that should be praising the meetups are the ones ACTUALLY attending them. I do thank the admin for paying for the site, because I wouldn't pay for it out of my pocket. I would do the old fashioned thing and just call some friends up and ask if they want to climb (I would of course make them tell me how AWESOME I am for planning it).

Ashton
user 36952852
Austin, TX
First of all, thanks to Shawn for paying for all of us climbing bums to have an organized website for our meet-ups! We sincerely do appreciate the sacrifice and all the time and effort you've put into this group!

To all of the members, if you are in the group to get feedback at a meetup, to be honest, if you show up to any given event, you'll probably witness us giving constant feedback to one another! The aspect of giving feedback doesn't just fall on the shoulders of the admins. Just like everyone else, they can't attend every meet-up so this group relies heavily on the responsibility of other members of the group to post and attend events. Typically, at any given meet-up, we all give feedback to one another as needed. If you haven't noticed by now, this automatically comes with being part of a community of climbers. For all of the good this group does, it's not worth it to focus on a petty, literal non-issue of our awesome community! Bottom line, everyone is welcome at the events, so come out and enjoy your time there- just be prepared to encourage your fellow friends and laugh with/at us as we all do already! To say we have a great time is an understatement!