align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Art People Message Board › Creative workshop space

Creative workshop space

Gopa
user 4868155
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 3
Hello everyone,

As winter is fast approaching, I was hoping to set up a series of workshops where we could all meet together and draw/paint/doodle in a quite, relaxed atmostphere. I would like your suggestions on where we could do this. Obviously we are looking for a place big enough to accommodate around 10+ people and free!!

I look forward to your suggestions!
Gopa
A former member
Post #: 38
Greetings,

Less familiar with the range of public venues one might tap with regards to the immediate environs of A2, but what is likely needed is a place where such activity has been accommodated before without undue notice. I wish my own private space was large enough and situated so that it might be employed to serve the purpose, but alas and at present it is not.

Cafes are typically hives of activity and hence noisy - so perhaps not the best. The range of venues scattered across A2 is vast, with some environments combining cafes with artist workspace in line with what might be desired. A review of the craft scene combining commerce with food options might reveal something. Large-scale big box craft stores will mesh instruction with time and space to work - albeit for a price.

Public libraries perhaps, although some dull and at least from my perspective, the aesthetic qualities of the environment can count for much. Nonprofit status and residency of A2 might secure a room for a few hours, although absent application, hard it is to say what might be possible. Perhaps an older facility would afford use greater latitude with regards to materials brought in, worked upon, spilled, etc.?

Unofficially descending upon a university library or identifying atypical commons areas affording heat, light and a modicum of ambiance - perhaps in conversation with others such places might be revealed and soon thereafter sampled. Depends greatly on the circumstance and what individuals so drawn are intent on doing,

Do YMCA's or perhaps area ethnic community centers afford space and solace to communities of artists that we might discreetly meld into? There may exist hidden pockets of activity just out of sight that could stand to benefit from a modest influx of people so inclined. Furthermore, might creaky fraternal orders and such be pressed into service in return for a modest donation? Bleak inside perhaps, but workspace is workspace. Just musings I suppose...

Mike K.

Jose
jarzac
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 6
Hi Gopa,

At home I have a couple of rooms for about 10 people each. Both are well lighted ... and free!! . All we would need is some chairs and a few tables. Let me know if you are interested.

Jose
Gopa
user 4868155
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 4
Hi Gopa,

At home I have a couple of rooms for about 10 people each. Both are well lighted ... and free!! . All we would need is some chairs and a few tables. Let me know if you are interested.

Jose

Hi Jose, thanks so much for the generous offer! That sounds like an excellent idea...Once I have a few dates in mind will coordinate with you to see what would be convenient. Will also have see how we can make arrangements for some basic furniture. Thanks once again!