Young Couples Club Message Board › Suggestions for next Women's Book Club

Suggestions for next Women's Book Club

Natasha
user 8937261
Group Organizer
Roswell, GA
Post #: 9
Hi guys:) Super excited to announce our fourth Women's Book Club!! Sunday we discussed Room, and now we are in search of a new book! Please leave your suggestions within this discussion board. Let's try and have all the suggestions in by Wednesday or Thursday so we can vote and confirm the meetup details in enough time.

After our last meeting we thought that it would be best to hold the next one at a members house for a more personal feel:) Our wonderful member Anna, has offered her home and further details will be announced as soon as the book is confirmed! Thank you all for your positive feedback and look forward to your suggestions:)
A former member
Post #: 38
I would like to suggest that we read the book "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett for our next book club meeting. They are also making it into a movie starring Emma Stone, so that could be a fun additional meet-up as well!

Here is the synopsis:

Aibileen is a black maid in 1962 Jackson, Mississippi, who's always taken orders quietly, but lately she's unable to hold her bitterness back. Her friend Minny has never held her tongue but now must somehow keep secrets about her employer that leave her speechless. White socialite Skeeter just graduated college. She's full of ambition, but without a husband, she's considered a failure. Together, these seemingly different women join together to write a tell-all book about work as a black maid in the South, that could forever alter their destinies and the life of a small town...
Natasha
user 8937261
Group Organizer
Roswell, GA
Post #: 10
Hi guys, here are my suggesions (btw, Michelle good pick):

The Memory Keepers Daughter

On a winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry is forced by a blizzard to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy. Yet when his daughter is born, he sees immediately that she has Down's Syndrome. Rationalizing it as a need to protect Norah, his wife, he makes a split-second decision that will alter all of their lives forever. He asks his nurse to take the baby away to an institution and never to reveal the secret. But Caroline, the nurse, cannot leave the infant. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child herself. So begins this story that unfolds over a quarter of a century - in which these two families, ignorant of each other, are yet bound by the fateful decision made that long-ago winter night. Norah Henry, who knows only that her daughter died at birth, remains inconsolable; her grief weighs heavily on their marriage. And Paul, their son, raises himself as best he can, in a house grown cold with mourning. Meanwhile, Phoebe, the lost daughter, grows from a sunny child to a vibrant young woman whose mother loves her as fiercely as if she were her own." The Memory Keeper's Daughter articulates a silent fear close to the heart of every mother: What would happen if you lost your child, and she grew up without you?

Revolutionary Road

The rediscovery and rejuvenation of Richard Yates's 1961 novel Revolutionary Road is due in large part to its continuing emotional and moral resonance for an early 21st-century readership. April and Frank Wheeler are a young, ostensibly thriving couple living with their two children in a prosperous Connecticut suburb in the mid-1950s. However, like the characters in John Updike's similarly themed Couples, the self-assured exterior masks a creeping frustration at their inability to feel fulfilled in their relationships or careers. Frank is mired in a well-paying but boring office job and April is a housewife still mourning the demise of her hoped-for acting career. Determined to identify themselves as superior to the mediocre sprawl of suburbanites who surround them, they decide to move to France where they will be better able to develop their true artistic sensibilities, free of the consumerist demands of capitalist America. As their relationship deteriorates into an endless cycle of squabbling, jealousy and recriminations, their trip and their dreams of self-fulfillment are thrown into jeopardy
Cicely
user 13563035
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 3
Here's my suggestion for the next book club. The first time I read this book I couldn't put it down and I continue to go back to it as one of my favorite reads ever!

The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende

Chilean writer Isabel Allende's classic novel is both a symbolic family saga and the story of an unnamed Latin American country's turbulent history. Allende constructs a spirit-ridden world and fills it with colorful and all-too-human inhabitants. The Trueba family's passions, struggles, and secrets span three generations and a century of violent change, culminating in a crisis that brings the proud and tyrannical patriarch and his beloved granddaughter to opposite sides of the barricades. Against a backdrop of revolution and counterrevolution, Allende brings to life a family whose private bonds of love and hatred are more complex and enduring than the political allegiances that set them at odds.