Mar 23, 2013 · 7:00 PM
Jeff Johannigman's home
This is a joint event with the Austin Geeks and Gamers Meetup group. For both new Who fans and old, "City of Death" is a favorite. Here is why it was voted one of the Top 10 all-time Doctor Who episodes in a Telegraph poll :
- It stars Tom Baker, the longest running and most beloved (Tennant fans, feel free to argue with me) actor to play the Doctor. Tom Baker is performing at his most charismatic in this one.
- His companion is the the second incarnation of Romana, played by Lalla Ward. The chemistry between them is so strong that the actors later married in real life.
- It is written by Douglas Adams, author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and shows his trademark quirky humor.
- It is one of the first episodes filmed on location outside of England. They set this episode in Paris and pulled out all the stops to make it visually spectacular.
- The story is epic, starting with primordial Earth and climaxing in modern-day Paris, with stops to visit DaVinci along the way.
- The villain is played by the incomparable Julian Glover, who later went on to play memorable villains in James Bond (Kristatos), Star Wars (General Veers), and Indiana Jones (Walter Donovan).
- You also get an unforgettable cameo by John Cleese explaining exactly why the Tardis belongs in the Louvre.
Join your fellow Whovians, and prepare to make new Geeks and Gamers friends at this meetup.
I'll provide the popcorn. Please bring sodas and snacks to share. (And note, for those with allergies, that a very friendly golden retriever and three semi-friendly cats live here.)