The Austin Golden Retriever Owners Meetup Group Message Board › Hip Dysplasia- 4 Year Old Golden

Hip Dysplasia- 4 Year Old Golden

Sarah S.
user 17730791
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Hi There-

My poor sweet pup just stopped wanting to walk, stand, lie down yesterday. All he wants to do is sit. He can't rise and has a very hard time even lowering. He is four. We got an X-ray and it does look like there is dysplasia but not "severe" that said, he still can't walk or stand right now. Perhaps he is just tired form the onset of the pain but I'm looking into all options. We have an appointment at Lakeline Vet Hospital on Tuesday with Dr. Treadway. Please if any of you have any ideas at all, anything that might help to support him, ease his pain. I would like to avoid hip replacement but if that needs to happen, I want to know the absolute best surgeon in the state. I will do whatever it takes. Please help. Many thanks!

Gail M.
user 14143117
Austin, TX
Sara,
I'm so sorry to hear this - but in my opinion, you're going to Lakeline - and they're terrific. If it comes to it, you may try the Central Texas Vet Specialty Hosp. They have several wonderful Docs who can help. Dr. Treadway may suggest one or two. In the meantime, there are some great Aroma Therapies that can help relax him - which will relax his pain, as well. And Acupuncture can help a great deal. Dr. Susan Culp administers acupuncture - and she may come to you. Contact me at gail_march@hotmail and I'll try to find her contact info for you if you''re interested. Good luck and wishing for all the best!
Sarah S.
user 17730791
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Does anyone have a good holistic vet....I believe this is nerve related and I wonder about getting some herbs to help. He had acupuncture and it helped tremendously!!
A former member
Post #: 4
Back in 1990, I adopted a mixed breed puppy who was born with hip dysplasia (it showed up when she was 9 months old). I ended up taking her to A&M vet clinic with her x-rays. They gave me several options (total hip replacement, modifying bone structure, etc) and one of which was do nothing & see how she does. She was a water frisbee dog & played hard so I would give her an aspirin to prevent the stiffness. She lived to be 12 yrs old being very active until the last few months. Maybe A&M can recommend a good vet for you.
A former member
I have a 14 year old that can't walk more than 10 feet, curls his feet, barely stands up from sitting. I had him to so many vets in the last 3 years. It has been slow progression. He went from being able to jump 10 foot fence from standing still before that. He fell down the stairs but xrays showed nothing.
He has been on rymadil, tramadol which helped. Switched him to meloxicam and tramadol. Almost put him to sleep since he was soo bad off. Could not smell anything, he is going slowly blind and deaf.
Had a horse chiropractor(lives in San Francisco) examine him. Gave him arnica..told us he is not in pain- his nerves are slowly dying off in his back...fall related or just golden hip/back disease?
Stopped all tramadol- he is doing GREAT!We were medicating him to death. Still give him meloxicam, he can smell again, he is happy, alert, loves to drink wine. *** We crack his back several times a day by pulling his tail horizontally- he must have pinched nerves and it releases the pressure. He loves it!
I don't know your case-so sad- but acupuncture and chiropractor is great! Good luck I would die for my dog:)