align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Baltimore Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › Sweeteners / raw honey

Sweeteners / raw honey

Cara Asalita S.
casalita
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
Hi there,

I'm hoping to get some clarification on raw honey. I've never consumed much honey until I was slowly transitioning to a healthier lifestyle. I eliminated processed sugar so local raw honey, from *kind* keepers, became my go-to sweetener. But then I made the switch to a vegan diet and found it wasn't the meat, dairy, etc., I was having a hard time doing without but the honey as I felt it was the healthiest option for the occasional sweetener. I also liked using it for allergy prevention.

So my first question is, what are good, *healthy* alternatives to honey (I stay away from both agave and stevia so those are not options). Maple syrup has been my main choice but it just doesn't feel as healthy to me as honey.

Secondly, I've seen conflicting verdicts on whether honey is acceptable in a vegan lifestyle. To me it seems like it would not be vegan for obvious reasons but I've even seen it popping up in vegan recipes lately so it is a little confusing.