addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Bay Area Clojure User Group Message Board › Topics for meetups?

Topics for meetups?

Sean A C.
seancorfield
Castro Valley, CA
Since we're a very large group (at least on the mailing list) and we have a very broad range of experience with Clojure from "just interested"  to "hobbyist" to "programming Clojure every day for production systems" and everything in between, I'd like to hear suggestions of topics / activities for future meetups.

At Clojure/conj last week, Alex Miller organized an Unconference session for folks that run meetups to talk about the format of their events, what works, what's difficult about running a group and so on. One common theme was that there's really no common theme in terms of formats! Some groups have lectures, some have hack sessions, some have lightning talks, some have short talks and open discussion... It all depends on what the group wants.

We already have the monthly dojo (thank you Toby and ThoughtWorks) as a hands-on event and we have two full meetups a month - San Francisco and, now, San Mateo - so we have plenty of opportunities to cover whatever topics you'd like to see in whatever format you'd like (although hands on events get a bit unwieldy if the group is too large!).

I'd like to make sure we provide value and interest for folks at different levels, from beginner to expert, so that everyone potentially gets something useful out of at least one of our events each month. To do that, I'd like to get some feedback from y'all...

I'm going to put together a survey using Google Docs (assuming I can figure out how!) asking about experience levels, platforms, editors and suggestions for topics as well as suggestions for improving the group so you get more out of it.

In the meantime, if there's something specific you'd like to see covered at our December 6th meetup - or you have something cool you'd like to share - let me know, either directly or by replying to this list to get a discussion started.