addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Dave
DavidLevine
New Westminster, BC
Post #: 21
I imagine that we'd open the tables up for folks to shift around a bit if they like, but I'd be good with anything that the current character builder allowed. Just give me a day or two in advance to read up.

Bob?
A former member
Post #: 184
For anyone interested in writing up their own characters, character creation is found in these D&D books:

All of this is easier to do using the online character builder, as it collects all published data from these sources and new powers and feats not yet published on paper. Also it corrects published errors that might skew the game. If you are playing at our tables regularly then we could include you in that printout list.

According to the rules, are we allowed to choose any of the books, or do we have to refer to them all? For example, would Paladin information be spread out in Players Handbook, Divine Power, and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, or is the information redundantly placed in all of them?

I understand what you mean about getting the info online, but that was $75, I thought.

To include us in the printout list, are you going to use 1 membership for everybody on the list?

Also, "Dungeons & dragons player's handbook : arcane, divine, and martial heroes : roleplaying game core rules" sounds like a book that is a compilation of many of the books that you recommend. Is that the case?
Bob R.
CountBob
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 34
If the online character builder says it's legal, who am I to argue? You should bear in mind that Dave and I need to absorb all of the stuff Wizards has put together, everything you guys put together, and how the two relate to each other. The more time we get to do this, the less hectic it is. So I would say that the charcters ought to be pretty much done at least a week before we start the new season.

Eugene, I think the easiest way to deal with this is to get someone who has a subscription to create a Paladin (you still want one of those, right?) for you. You just need to describe what you have in mind to Dave or myself. We both have subscriptions, as do Anthony, Tim, and Charles, I believe. If you like, I can bring in some prototypes for you to look at on Wednesday.
Dave
DavidLevine
New Westminster, BC
Post #: 22
Congratulations on your subscription, Bob! And thanks. I was down to rotating characters in and out of archive after the last few were created.

Eugene: you can use whatever Paladin information you can find in 4th edition books to build or order your character. We will have access to all feats and powers using the builder, including corrections and new feats & powers published only online. All of the books I mentioned for paladins will offer you decent build options.

Use whatever you like, the books are modular more than corrective.
Tim B.
user 13832560
New Westminster, BC
Post #: 6
Okay, I think I will prepare two characters and decide which one fits better into the group. I will submit both by Wednesday. Is the game world that we're using detailed anywhere? Might be nice to have an idea of where our characters come from.

If there's any way I can be helpful with my subscription, let me know. Also, that colour printing and cardstock must be expensive...should we donate a few dollars to cover costs?
Dave
DavidLevine
New Westminster, BC
Post #: 23
... Is the game world that we're using detailed anywhere? Might be nice to have an idea of where our characters come from...

If there's any way I can be helpful with my subscription, let me know...

Thanks, Tim. Here is what you should know:

Over sixty years ago, a group of bold adventurers calling themselves the Silver Company delved into a mysterious tower that appeared in the ruins of Castle Inverness. The result was tragic.

Now, six decades later, an ambitious young cleric named Aldus Splintershield seeks to make a name for himself and his clan by founding a new town in the ruins of the infamous castle. And so he has hired you, brave adventurers, to guard against whatever perils may arise from such an expedition.

So prepare yourself and guard against the worst. For in the Nentir Vale, the worst is always on the way.

More practically:

The March of the Phantom Brigade is an exciting 13-week season that finds the characters facing off against an ancient evil in an effort to save a newly-founded frontier community from its depredations! If you’re into D&D’s storied legacy, you’ll note the nods to classic locales such as the Ghost Tower and Castle Inverness. If you’re just starting your 4th Edition experience, D&D Encounters is a great place for you to get your weekly D&D fix as you learn the game. Characters begin at 1st level and advance normally, so you can jump in anytime with a 1st-level character and you won’t be overwhelmed.

Character creation is once again a breeze this season, with a focused set of rules options available for you to reference. You can use Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms to create your character. In addition, D&D Insider subscribers can use the Character Builder to generate a character that uses only the above rulebooks with the D&D Encounters campaign setting option, and get additional access to rules options presented in Dragon magazine articles affiliated with those books.

Dave
DavidLevine
New Westminster, BC
Post #: 24
One thing to think about for March of the Phantom Brigade is that your character will be a settler, not a mercenary for pay. S/he will be fighting to protect the fledgling community but also for an eventual homestead. So the NPCs of your future neighborhood become as important as the journey, and we'll do more roleplaying. I look forward to it.

Also in MPB decisions made by the player characters will affect encounters quite a bit more.

More importantly, stay focused on defeating the Evil Friar Benwick and his lizardmen hordes for the moment.
You will really need your wits about you to outlive him and save Restwell Keep ...

devilish
Anthony T.
user 12694411
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 41
Ha! We have Ea, our brilliant wizard! We don't need no stinkin wits!
Dave
DavidLevine
New Westminster, BC
Post #: 25
Ha! We have Ea, our brilliant wizard! We don't need no stinkin wits!

Then I guess that works out even.

Have fun storming the castle! laughing
(It'd take a miracle!)
A former member
Post #: 192
One thing to think about for March of the Phantom Brigade is that your character will be a settler, not a mercenary for pay.

If that's the case, then maybe a minotaur would not be appropriate for the game. If that is the case, then Bob, would you please please bring those other player sheets to the next meeting?