addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Boston Arduino Users Group Message Board › Boston Arduino user's group shutting down?

Boston Arduino user's group shutting down?

g.andrew.stone
user 9234091
Hollis, NH
Post #: 2
It looks like Ed stepped down as organizer. It turns out you have to pay about $15 a month to have a meetup group (or maybe its to be an organizer? its a little unclear) so its not a "no-brainer" to keep this going.

While I love the idea of the arduino user's group and have had a lot of fun at the meetups I sponsored, I have not had much time lately for going down to boston because I am fixing up my house to sell. But this might change by this fall...

Is there still interest and excitement over a user's group? Or is Arduino so big now that its easy to get information and help from other sources?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated

Andrew
John L.
user 9339682
Somerville, MA
Post #: 12
There is a fee to be an organizer and a meetup group requires an organizer.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to attend or organize meetings in a while.
With the other Arduino resources there has been very little activity on the
list.

Is there a free mailing list or group page that could be started?

(* jcl *)

Seth
sethcim
Somerville, MA
Post #: 23
I don't think there's been a meetup since I joined the group, but it is something I am interested in attending. Having face-to-face community is valuable, even when there are many answers online.
Russ
RussDraper
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 1
Hi Guys,

I took over the group, I look forward to meeting people at the next event! If you have any tips or suggestions please contact me. I figured I would try this for awhile and see how it goes.

-Russ
g.andrew.stone
user 9234091
Hollis, NH
Post #: 3
Hi Russ,

Great! Thanks for stepping up!
A former member
Hey Guys,

I'm interested in helping set up events for the group and I'd like this group to continue. I'm a beginner with Arduino and I'd definitely appreciate working with the Boston Arduino community.

Russ: Would you like to get together and plan an event?
Marc
user 15148781
Boston, MA
Hey guys,

I've been to a couple of the meetups, though I hadn't officially joined the group till now.

I totally agree that having a face-to-face community is really valuable. It's fun to share what projects we've done, and what we've learned, and help others.

Re: the cost: $12/month for 6 months (a single $72 charge)
I'm guessing everyone would be fine with pitching in $1-2/mo, depending on how many people show.

Can we get this group back up and running?

M.
Russ
RussDraper
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
I haven't had time to plan another meetup, mostly because I've never been to the NERD center where everyone wants to hold it next. Its not convenient for me, so I haven't planned anything. I was thinking the next one should be a tutorial on how to make something, I bet people would want to come to that.

If you have a suggestion or can host the next event, please let me know! I haven't abandoned the group, just life got in the way a bit :)
Chuck T.
user 70584652
Westford, MA
I suggested an "Internet of things workshop"
http://www.meetup.com...­

Would that be something folks might be interested in as a "tutorial" type meetup?