addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Boston Arduino Users Group Message Board › Local source for Parts

Local source for Parts

A former member
Post #: 1
I have my first Arduino, an Uno. The search is on for parts. I'd like the flexibility to buy them locally if need be, just in case I fry that last crucial LED. I have no qualms about ordering them online (and there are no shortages of options.) MicroCenter doesn't have them and they referred me to You-Do-It Electronics in Needham; nice option for someone with a car. I'm hesitant to try Radio Shack because their emphasis seems to have shifted away from components and more towards the ready made electronics.

So, do any of you know a local place that's accessible by the T or bike, that sells electronics parts?
John L.
user 9339682
Somerville, MA
Post #: 8
Unfortunately the only choices for a good variety of parts locally are Radio Shack or You-Do-It.
Some of the Radio Shacks stock more components than others. You may want
to try one near MIT.

For an occasional urgent request you could post what you are looking for.
Don't forget that the MIT Flea Market is next week.

(* jcl *)

http://www.wiblocks.c...­

g.andrew.stone
user 9234091
Hollis, NH
Post #: 1
The Internet was the death of local parts stores.

But do not worry, www.digikey.com will ship to you first class mail, so its quite cheap. And www.futureelectronics.com is based in canada so they can get to the northeast very quickly. At small quantities, Future has both the best and not-so-good prices depending on the part so shop around. www.octopart.com, www.findchips.com.

Cheers,
Andrew

http://effluviaofasca...­
http://toastedcircuit...­
Rob
robtheungodly
Westford, MA
Post #: 18
For those of us on the 495 belt, there's a great little store right on the common in Littleton called Electronics Plus. This little store will remind you of the glory days of Radio Shack, small, convenient, and no cellphones or other consumer electronics other than scanners. Just components and tools, the two things you need. They don't cover much in the way of fun things to plug into the Arduino, but I still go there often for the basic stuff (LEDs, Resistors, switches, enclosures, wire, etc.).

It might be a bit of a hike via the T, It's about 2.5 miles from Littleton/495 Commuter Rail stop on the Fitchburg Line from North Station.

If you're working somewhere along 495 it can be really useful, it's right off the highway and there's a really good sub shop next door.