Hi there! My name is Chris and I'm getting back into riding more seriously after a few years of being too lazy. Your club sounds like a great fit for me and I look forward to the opportunity to ride with you soon!
Join us if you'd like to take leisurely road bike rides on the weekend through the scenic countryside around Boulder. Our pace will be slow compared to most cycling clubs, maybe a mild step up from cruiser rides. We'll just go at our own pace. A typical ride might be 20 miles roundtrip in the Boulder area. We go at about a pace of 12-14 mph on the flats, but stop frequently, so the overall pace with stops is about 8 mph over about a 3 hour ride.
The general criteria for our rides include the following:
* safe - we try to choose routes that avoid or minimize time on highways/roads with high speed traffic and/or heavy traffic. As a result, many of our routes include riding on bike paths. We also seek roads with reasonably large margins on the side. If enough people show up, we try to assign a sweep to help in case of flats, mechanical troubles, etc. Our group tries to stay together, but people will ride at different paces, so we regroup at frequent stopping points throughout the ride, which also serve to allow people to drink/eat/rest. We try to ride single file, but there's no way to enforce this. We try to ride in good weather, e.g. avoiding rain/thunderstorms and seeking sufficiently warm days > 60F. For each ride, there is a leader who has planned, and usually scouted/ridden, the route ahead of time. The leader will try to let the riders know about key points in the route prior to reaching those points.
* moderate in length - we aim for about 20-22 miles roundtrip, but if the route significantly varies from this average, we'll say so up front.
* moderate in elevation - we aim for relatively flat terrain, with some modest hills of about a few hundred feet at most of climb, but if the route significantly varies from this average, we'll say so up front.
* moderate in speed - we aim to average about 12-14 mph on the flats, but stop frequently to regroup.
* moderate in time - the typical ride should take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours roundtrip.
* convenient - close enough around Boulder to ride and/or carpool to the starting point, e.g. at parks accessible via bike paths
By joining us on our rides, you agree that you are an adult, that you will act responsibly, that you recognize that participating in this bicycle ride involves a certain amount of risk, that the organizers have tried to provide a safe ride as described above but are not responsible for and have no control during the ride over the actions of individuals in the group that may endanger themselves or others, and that you will not hold the organizers of the ride legally responsible for any such incidents or other accidents that may occur during the riding event.