align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Brightoneers Message Board › A network of Brighton worker Coops

A network of Brighton worker Coops

Tom N.
tomnixon
Group Organizer
Brighton, GB
Post #: 1
There's interest from a number of people in setting up something like Spain's Mondragón Corporation here in Brighton. This is a network of worker-owned coops that operate independently whilst adding a huge amount of resilience and power by working very closely together. Check out this Guardian article for more background: http://www.guardian.c...­
Please post here if you would like to be involved in discussions about this, especially if you are a member of a worker coop, are interested in setting one up, or have a privately owned business which you are open to transitioning to employee-ownership.
Personally I have time and energy to put into this and would like to collaborate with others.
Emily O.
user 70559802
Brighton, GB
Post #: 2
Sounds interesting.
Tom N.
tomnixon
Group Organizer
Brighton, GB
Post #: 5
Thanks Emily. Your Fork & Dig It project looks awesome. It would be interesting to know if you have plans for an employee ownership element to it. Or does it have that already? I'm really interested in hybrid ownership models where you can use some private ownership to raise capital (if needed), employee ownership to create a bought in and engaged workforce, and community ownership to give customers and others locally a stake in the business.

Tom N.
tomnixon
Group Organizer
Brighton, GB
Post #: 6
Check out this new clip talking about worker coops. This is the future of business and it's already here - we just need to distribute it more widely :)
Shift Change in the news
sven r.
user 77360432
Brighton, GB
Thanks for pointing me to this thread Tom. I'm keen that at tonight's launch people with similar goals in mind get to meet and keep in touch. I'm not so sure how that is going to work on the night, but this part of the forum will hopefully do that job.

I've been having some interesting discussions with various people/organisations about Mondragon-ing Brighton - it would be great to get a few more people involved.

Looking forward to meeting many more co-operators tonight, and in the future.
Johnny D.
user 53438432
Brighton, GB
Thanks for the link! I'll follwo discussion here and elsewhere..Good luck tonight.