The Brightoneers Message Board › The Bevy as the 'new economy'

The Bevy as the 'new economy'

Gavin M.
user 13939425
Brighton, GB
Post #: 1
It was fantastic to meet some Brightoneers last week. Or should I say, to become part of the Brightoneers movement. It was inspiring to see so many people who want to create a ‘new economy’.

The Bevendean Co-operative pub/cafe/social space shows us what a ‘new economy’ can look like. It will be community-owned, not-for-profit, green and healthy. www.thebevy.co.uk

The Bevy will boost this city. It will be an expression of the new economy that people such as the Brightoneers passionately believe in.

It will be the first cooperative pub on a housing estate in the UK. And that housing estate is in the 5% most deprived in the UK. Life expectancy can be 10 years less than in other parts of Brighton & Hove.

Most importantly, it will serve the under-served. It will be a much-needed community hub serving 18,000 neglected Brighton & Hove residents.

I want to appeal to you all today to start this new economy by making it happen here.

Please help us make this happen by offering skills and/or buy in. Shares cost £10 and take 2 mins to buy at www.thebevy.co.uk . Donators of £100 or more can claim 50% tax back through the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme.

Any businesses who want to make larger donations please contact us and we’ll show you round. You’ll see the potential for yourselves. You’ll see what this means for the local area, for Brighton & Hove, for Sussex, for the UK.

Let's talk. Let's act.

Gavin smile
Warren C.
user 77030602
Brighton, GB
Post #: 2
As Chair of the Bevy i'm obviously going to agree with Gavin! There was fantastic people and energy at the Good for Nothing weekend and Brightoneers meet up and massive support for our plans. It's also inspirational to see what Saltdean Lido have done and now the Exeter Street campaign raising the cash to buy their hall. We have the same energy and enthusiasm but really lack funds. Our shares are dead cheap so everyone on the estates can afford them, but we seriously need some bigger investors. And if you invest more than 100 quid, you get 50% back through the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme.
Sorry this reads like a sales pitch, but the harsh reality is that we need peoples financial support! If it happens it will be unique, the first of its kind in the country. But more than that, give a working class estate the opportunity to really benefit from the 'new economy' and make all these ideas and ideals real. For without these ideals giving people jobs and opportunities in our most deprived communities, they will come to nought or stay in a well educated, middle class bubble! And i'm sure that's what no one involved in Brightoneers wants.
Iain C.
IainChambers
Brighton, GB
Post #: 3
As I said when I spoke to people at The Brightoneers meet up, I believe this to be the most important project in Brighton at the moment. If we want real change, important, radical, deep change then The Bevy is it. We can review our own practices and our own business methods and aspirations, and indeed we should do so. But as Gavin and Warren have said, unless this change reaches the people who have borne the brunt of the anti-social, divisive capitalism of recent decades, then we are being self-indulgent and, I believe, ultimately self defeating.

There is a huge win to be had here, in the short and long term. The immediate effect is the people of Bevendean, Moulsecoomb and Bates estates getting a pub of their own because some people got together and made it happen. From there they intend to make other pretty cool things happen: a cafe, a meeting place, a community kitchen, all necessary physical spaces that provide the rooms where people meet, relationships form, ideas spark and self-belief takes root. Anybody who went to Meaning Conference last year knows what can happen next: communities take control of their own destinies, stop asking permission and get shit done. My own obsession with food makes me wonder if they'll soon be opening a cooperative baker or grocer, but it might be their own care cooperative, or laundry or pre-school or whatever they want to do. The fact is that if they can do one they'll do more.

I know from our successful campaign to buy Exeter St Hall that the real victory has been to reveal the way acting together to benefit all has made everyone feel. If lightning struck tonight and the place went up in smoke we would still have won. People have come out of their houses and started talking. Friendships have been made. The pub has been busier. Yes we've fallen out at times and yes fundraising is a royal pain in the arse at times, but our community is a better place now. But we had a huge advantage because there's money in our community, enough to spare to save our hall. If The Bevy group had 100 volunteers and no other responsibilities and a year to knock on doors, then maybe they could raise the cash they need on the estates. But they haven't got that luxury. As a group the Brightoneers have got the brains, the contacts, the ethics and the will to help The Bevy get to phase one: Open the Pub. What message would that send out to other cities, other business people and most importantly other working class estates? This project can galvanise the Brightoneers idea. If we pull together to help The Bevy happen then my belief is we will gain the collective strength and self belief to make other things happen too.

We need to help buiild a pub.
Tom N.
tomnixon
Group Organizer
Brighton, GB
Post #: 12
This is awesome guys. I have bought my shares and wish you every success!