addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buddhist Meditation and Study Group of Vero Beach Message Board › Book Recommendation

Book Recommendation

Mary Jo W.
MaryJoW
Vero Beach, FL
Post #: 9
I'd like to recommend a book. It's called "Life Prayers" - edited by Elizabeth Roberts and Elias Amidon. it is filled with prayers, poetry and essays from every spiritual and religous tradition across the centuries. There are many Buddhist prayers as well as Hindu and Christian and Muslim and Indignious tribes from all over the world. It is a little gem I found at a thrift shop and when I read from it I feel connected to all of those who had the grace to speak so beautifully, truthfully and eloquently of the joys, sorrows and aspirations of the human heart.

Here's one that was in the book. I read it recently just after I had had an enjoyable morning coffee on the patio at Starbucks - listening to early morning birdsong, watching the people pass by on their way to busy lives and watching the sunlight sparkle on the pavement after an early morning rain.

My fiftieth year had come and gone,
I sat, a solitary man,
In a crowded London shop,
An open book, an empty cup
On the marble table top.

While on the shop and street I gazed
My body of a sudden blazed;
And twenty minutes more or less
It seemed, so great my happiness,
That I was blessed and could bless.

William Butler Yeats

I have really enjoyed Dennis's poetry that he's posted here and I've added them to the book.

Aloha
Mary Jo