The Burnsville Socrates Cafe Message Board The Burnsville Socrates Cafe Discussion Forum › 12/28/10 questions and discussion

12/28/10 questions and discussion

Jon A.
thisbus
Group Organizer
Saint Paul, MN
1. If forced to, which would you choose: experience or thought?

2. Co2, a myth or a responsibility?

3. What matters to us?

4. Why is poverty acceptable?

5. Of the 50 states what makes them different/why do they have boundaries?

6. Why is everything for the children?

7. Should we have a market for human organs?

8. What is stability?

======================================­

and the winner is: How can we put aside our political differences and do what's best for our country? -- from Steve

Steve: consider the recent START treaty shenanigans in D.C. Folks seem more interested in fighting.

David: can it be solved?

Steve: we've done it before. the differences now are no different than they were then. We've made it so far. I'm not a believer in pure luck for our success. We haven't been lucky so far.

Shannon: is it different now?

Steve: since WWII American politics are as bad as they've ever been

David: do you think politicians think of themselves as Americans first or politicians first?

Steve: I think they lose track, they start as citizens but under the influence of power, the powerful, and money they lose good focus.

Jim: the analysis is wrong. The problem is ideology

Steve: but that's always been there

Jim: but now the ideologies are closer to 50/50

Steve: players now come from the ideological extremes

Jim: differences are so great now due to past errors we've made politically/governmentally, making these troubles that are seemingly irreversible

Dick: divisions of US states are pointless politically, lending to divisiveness/ripe politics. Scoring points is more imp. than getting things done. It wasn't like this before

Stephen: ideological differences: "strict father" vs. "nurturing mother" the moderate center decides. We need less ideology, more moderate thought

Steve: rapid change for US civilization has us more afraid than ever

Phil: groups can get concentrated support via various medias (thereby it is easier to avoid other realities). There's nothing we can do to slow this down. Groups such as this philosophy group help dispel polarization

Jon: fear leads us to seek comfort online, looking for "news" that reinforces whatever we're certain of.

Steve: and reinforced fear leads to anger.

Sara: a solution -- there has to be common ground. Are our commonalities diminishing? Education underlies poverty, economic salient, kids learning correctly are more competitive, more open-minded. We need a common focus across all ideologies, beneath all ideologies, before all ideologies.

Steve: hope used to hold us all together

Sara: the future scares my peers (Sara is 19)(Jon: looking back, when I was 19 I had no conscious fear about my future)

Jim: movement is not necessarily progress, change is not necessarily progress. Changing back to what is better is progress

Sara: we don't make things anymore

Amr: erg and free market

Shannon: we need greater awareness of the gray area. We focus on the petty, we focus on the poison

Sara: big issues are too hard so we do petty instead

David: 1. we're all talking from fear because government/interest groups/media wants us to be afraid 2. our economics; we're going downhill because we're not allowing our corporations to compete. We need leadership to focus our attention on using fear constructively

Amr: persistently being negative about the negative creates a vicious cycle. Negativity is not inherently bad unless we do the cyclic negativity.

Larry: 39% of US jobs are "poverty wages". Countries that do the best have a small difference between the low and the highest income. Re.: Fritz Mondale's book's points: 1.we need to take a better view of our government 2. money for elections -- eliminate special interest funding of all elections

Stephen: maybe we need "put a man on the moon" kind of goal?

Jim: the solution is to eliminate national political parties. We must break the back of ideological strength, state organizations only no. The other cure for us is to fully maximize citizen production as well as corporate production. A productive citizenry is a happy one.

============================

Well it was wild a woolly tonight. Welcome to Amr! May you join us for more, and soon.