The Calgary Astronomy Meetup Group Message Board › Light pollution abatement

Light pollution abatement

Roland D.
Roland_Dechesne
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1
Hi all,

Would anybody be interested in learning about light pollution, what it is, its negative effects on the sky, the natural world, and your health and why light at night is not a very effective tool to fight crime?

There is a small working group that meets twice a month, typically in the evening on the first and fourth Thursday of the month.

More info on light pollution can be found here:
Light pollution website - lot's of info, but still growing!
Atul
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1,580
We all need to publicly raise this issue by contacting our elected representatives and writing to the media:

Here is a letter to the editor published on this subject:

City's lights too bright

Atul Jain. Edmonton Journal. Edmonton, Alta.: Jun 18, 2009. pg. A.15

Copyright CanWest Digital Media Jun 18, 2009

I'd like to welcome ICLEI delegates to Alberta and hope they enjoy their stay here.

One fact that Edmonton doesn't brag about is that it is the No. 1 city for "light-pollution intensity."

This extremely serious problem is fatal to wildlife, seriously disrupts the cycles of local plants and animals, which require darkness at night and also has serious human health consequences.

Since wildlife diversity is one of ICLEI's major issues, I hope delegates take the time and have the patience to educate Edmonton city councillors on the seriousness of light pollution, so council can finally find the guts and intelligence to properly regulate commercial lighting in Edmonton.

Atul Jain, Calgary

Credit: Atul Jain; Edmonton Journal
Roland D.
Roland_Dechesne
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 2
I have a copy of a BBC documentary made on light pollution made by a regional BBC station (so don't get the idea that it's one of those Attenborough-narrated masterpieces). It's probably more like a W5 or Fifth Estate -type program. The reason I'm guessing is that I have not watched it, but I am curious to see it as the BBC crew came to Calgary to interview yours truly and some other colleagues about the City of Calgary's roadway lighting retrofit. I'd like to set up a viewing session, if there's interest.