addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Calgary Steampunk Assemblage Message Board Events and Happenings › Gentlemen and Ladies, Adventurers and Masters of Business pay heed!

Gentlemen and Ladies, Adventurers and Masters of Business pay heed!

Kevin J.
user 22551321
Calgary, AB
Post #: 125
Greetings

Since the tragic fire that destroyed the old club on Dover St this year past, it occurs to me that we have lost the very place in which the business of Empire was conducted. It is not the vocal jousting across the aisle of Westminster, by the loyal debaters of Her Majesty's Parliament, which direct the course of our great Empire. Rather it is in the gathering of like minded men (and Ladies in these enlightened times it must be said) who in a jovial and indulgent companionship amid the welcoming and hospitable environment of the Club, in which the true course of Empire is charted.

Gentlemen!

It is high time that we again gather to set the course once more over old Port, fine Cigars or with our pipes aglow.

The Empire is in need of our conscious deliberations of the weighty matters of science, business, exploration and adventure once more. All that we need is a place, which I am endeavoring to find. Should I find such a place, though to be honest it is unlikely to match the aged calm beauty of Dover St, as without 200 years of history darkening it's walls new places will be far too bright, is there interest in reconvening? For it is not the walls, frowning portraits, exotic curios and adventure soaked artifacts that make a club, but the character and adventurous spirit of its members.

Should I find a suitable place in which to gather are there any who would join me in such a place to carry on the business and discuss the adventure of which our great Empire is justly proud?

Are there gentlemen who would care to share a fine Port or Brandy, smoke a fine cigar or fragrant pipe and bend our thoughts to the weighty business matters of our time, the latest advances in science and technology, the discoveries of our adventurers in Africa and the Orient, the journeys of our brave aeronautical and submarine explorers?

Ladies!

Are you of the modern stern mold? Are you willing to sit with us, share a smoke and a drink and bring your wonderful insights to the path of the, so far lamentably male dominated, Empire?

If so, I urge you to let me know below and with help of providence and the certain glory of our Empire in mind I will let you know when I am successful.

Till that fortunate time may you keep your sightglass full and your firebox trimmed.

Yours in companionship etc.
Kevin/Max
Kevin J.
user 22551321
Calgary, AB
Post #: 129
Greetings all.

Despite the make believe in which I couched the above post, I am serious abut wanting to get together to try to recreate some of the atmosphere of the great Gentlemen's and Explorers Clubs of yore.

With a wonderful stroke of luck I have come across a nearly perfect place in which to convene such a gathering and after only a few days of searching too.
The space is rather small, it could only serve for a group of 6-10 like minded folks I should think, but the atmosphere is perfect. It is in fact a private club attached to "International Cigar and Pipe" in downtown Calgary.
Here are a couple of pictures to get a flavour for the space:

Things I like most about this space are the decor, with dark wood paneling, a faux fireplace, comfortable overstuffed chairs and couch, and an amenable owner/proprietor smile This last part is the clincher. I can get access to this space for a private function during an evening for a VERY reasonable flat cost.
The large walk in humidor on site has a fabulous collection of cigars and they also have a small selection of pipe tobaccos as well.

Anybody interested in an formal(ish) evening of fellowship, conversation and plans for adventure and how to rule the world wink in the tradition of the, much lamented, "Dover Street Club" please let me know.

I'm thinking I would like to try to get something going for late January or February.

However, I'm also willing to go and tryout the space on the fly. There is a reasonable cover charge to use the club if you aren't an annual member. So I'm up for a less formal sit down, maybe even in light steam gear (al dente? smile) if anybody is interested in joining me some evening.

Keep your sightglass full and your firebox trimmed.
Kevin/Max

Jessep
GI_Jester
Calgary, AB
Post #: 134
Sounds like a enjoyable evening out, I'd be in for an after New Year's gathering and check it out - Al Dente would be great.

Loved the First Post, but didn't quite know where you were going with it :)
Stig
TheStig
Calgary, AB
Post #: 33
My mustache demands of me to partake of such an endeavor.
Stewart M.
Mad_Doctor
Calgary, AB
Post #: 72
I would love to try this place sometime. Whats the address?
A former member
Post #: 54
I am stern and moldy
Jessep
GI_Jester
Calgary, AB
Post #: 143
As progressive members of the empire, lets make this a go and arrange a date :)

Say mid month? anytime after the 15th?... Friday or Saturday evening if people are up for it 20/21?
Zanna J.
user 12880917
Calgary, AB
Post #: 40
Sounds great! I agree with the Friday or Saturday night suggestion. Cheers!
Kevin J.
user 22551321
Calgary, AB
Post #: 146
Well said Commodore Cross and it is indeed time for me to start things rolling.

Here is what I propose.

In order to test out the venue I suggest a brief evening gathering. This Wednesday January 11th works for me. I will go over there after work and a spot of dinner around 6:00pm and anybody who wants to is welcome to join me.

For this first reconnaissance in force, I suggest mundane or "Al Dente" outfits, to avoid freaking any regular clientele. wink

Should this turn out to be, as I expect, as good a place as it appears, then I will start aiming for a more formal Friday or Saturday evening meetup event, so start looking at your calendars. The owner, Chico, tells me all he needs is a minimum 24 hours notice to reserve the space for our private use, so we can be very flexible.

The street address is:
International Cigar and Pipe
Suite #203
530 8 Ave SW
Easiest way to find it is to go to the +15 level on the west side of Holt Renfrew (the old Eatons). You can't miss it as the delightful aroma of fine cigars is the tip off.

The cover charge for drop ins is $15.00.

Please let me know if you can come by on Wednesday evening, Thursday also works for me if that is better.

I remain as always, yours in service to the Empire
etc. etc.

Keep your sightglass full and your firebox trimmed.
Kevin/Max
Jessep
GI_Jester
Calgary, AB
Post #: 145
Al Dente - more Victorian than Punk.... for the locals sake... and a paid entry fee... I would assume