The Canmore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Barry Blanchard & Client Make It Through Grizzly Encounter

Barry Blanchard & Client Make It Through Grizzly Encounter

Laurel A.
user 8226501
Canmore, AB
Post #: 39
Hello, everyone:

In my travels, I've encountered two schools of thought regarding bear safety: those that carry bear spray, and those that do not. I carry the supersize canister. Please read this week's news link on Barry Blanchard's close call with a male 6 year-old grizzly on Monday: Blanchard & Client Escape Grizzly Incident
This grizzly's behavior bordered on curiosity/predatory patterning. Be safe out there everyone. Carry spray, especially at this time of year when they're beefing up for hiberation. Take a bear safety/awareness course, and if you're not sure where they're offered, check with Bow Valley Wild Smart, Mountain Equipment Coop, or Calgary Area Outdoor Council, and make sure to invest the money in practicing with an inert substance spray can ... you'll be glad you did!! I've had six no-incident encounters, and I'm sure Barry has seen his share of bears, but this week he had a wake-up call!