Mt St Helens

  • March 29, 2013 · 3:00 PM
  • This location is shown only to members

If weather, snow, and/or visibility are not near perfect, this trip will be rescheduled in April or May.

Who: Intermediate Backcountry skiers who are in excellent cardio condition.

Sno-Park Permit required until 4/1/13.

Climbing Permit: not required before 4/1/13.  $22/skier.  Each skier is responsible for purchasing their own permit.

Schedule:
3/29, Fri afternoon: drive to Marble Mountain Sno-Park and setup car camp
3/30, Sat:
Ski (to or near) Mt St Helens' crater rim
3/30, Sat:
drive home

Ski and avalanche safety gear: Alpine Touring or Telemark skiing equipment, avalanche safety gear (beacon, probe, and shovel) and avy safety training and experience.

Recommended mountaineering gear: Ski crampons and/or boot crampons. Ice ax or Black Diamond Whippet.

Navigation gear: I am bringing map, compass, altimeter, navigation wands, and GPS.  Ideally, at least one other skier will be equipped with a GPS.

Camping gear: Three season tents and three season sleeping bags/pads (and other gear) suffice.

Distance: 10.75 miles roundtrip.

Elevation gain: 5,700 feet.

Pace: Moderate (~800 ft of elevation gain per hour).

Duration: ~7 hour ascent and ~3 hour descent.

Difficulty: Extremely strenuous.

Drive duration from park-n-ride to trailhead4 hours.

Carpooling and fuel reimbursement: Riders please bring cash to compensate your driver.

2011 Trip Report

Weather Forecast

Avalanche Forecast

 

Join or login to comment.

  • Paul Kogelmann

    A great day; it was a bluebird blissful sunny ski up and down Mt St. Helens..

    March 31, 2013

  • Christy

    I'm here. Dont see anybody but its a big place.

    March 29, 2013

    • Agnes Sauvage

      We're 10' away. Look for a black Toyota forerunner. There was an accident on 405 we had to take another route. What car do u have?

      March 29, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    Paul, I can drive. Bill, sorry about work. Agnes, i don't think you need a Discovery Pass as its not a state park. See everyone who can make it at 3:30pm in Renton. Peter cel [masked]

    March 28, 2013

  • Christy

    I will plan to be at renton P&R at 3:30. Agnes- thanks for the ride offer. I will bring a tent or share with sara. I have a gps.

    March 27, 2013

    • Agnes Sauvage

      No pb. Please do bring your snopark permit as neither DC nor I have one. I am planning on buying a Discovery pass - it seems we need the combo sbopark + discovery?

      March 28, 2013

  • Paul Kogelmann

    Hi volcano skiers - I really (REALLY) want to ski saturday but my car which always works well is not as of this AM- it's throwing codes and check engine lights freakin': it's unlikely I can't get a fix done in the next 24 hours to make it sensible for me to drive it. @#%&*+ I know it's an 11th hour request but if it's possible I can get to renton tomorrow and be a passenger. I'll cover major fuel/food/drink costs for the driver... [masked]

    March 28, 2013

  • Agnes Sauvage

    Dana/DC + myself are definitely going and would be bummed if this were cancelled! There will prob be a bunch of people on the mountain having the same idea of climbing it pre-permit season, and we have people in the group who know the route, so bar a total whiteout i think we should go.

    Christy, we can pick you up at 330pm at the Renton P&R if you can make it. We're planning a lazy car sleeping arrangement but 3 may be a bit tight in the back, so you will need to bring your tent - or i am thinking of bringing one anyway just in case. Let us know.

    So that leaves 3 cars:
    Peter, Bill, Sara
    Agnes, DC, Christy
    Paul, [James]

    I will bring a PLB in addition to regular avy gear.
    I dont use nor own a GPS though.

    March 27, 2013

  • jhamaker

    I'll have things nailed down by tonight. I will coordinate w/ Peter.

    March 27, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    DC Sutliffe, Petra, Christy, are you guys joining us for the big adventure? It looks like we could have anywhere from 6 to 11 people. Maybe we should get a bus....all the better to break trail! If you are coming from Bellevue the Renton pnr is on your way to St Helen's, if you come down I-5 it's a minor detour off 5 (South Renton pnr, 207 S. 7th St., Grady Way and Shattuck Ave S, Renton, WA). The ride share will have to be figured out once we know who's coming. Bill, Sara and I will be in one car. Agnes and company in another. Paul, James Hamaker was looking to be picked up in for his separate event in Tacoma. Do you want to do this? It looks like the weather will be pretty good Saturday.

    March 26, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      Hi Peter, I'll be joining you guys. - Dana aka DC

      March 26, 2013

    • Petra

      I'm going to be at Mt. St. Helens doing the same tour, but with a group of friends. We'll be between 3-8 people, so too many to join this group. See you all in the parking lot and on the mountain. It looks like the weather will be very nice on Saturday!

      March 26, 2013

  • Agnes Sauvage

    3:30pm works better for me too. is the Renton P&R on the way to St Helens anyway? It seems the meetup there is mostly in order for all of us to meet one another and share info on the road, the permit(s) situation and the logistics for the following day. i'm all for doing that earlier rather than later, when we're all scrambling to find the trailhead and each other, but just wanted to make sure its not an unnecessary detour for any of us.
    Can we clarify the cars? on my side we will have
    Agnes + Dana + potentially Theresa

    March 26, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      Dana=DC

      March 26, 2013

  • Christy

    Peter -
    I want to come. I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to leave work early enough to meet folks at 3:30. I don't want to drive alone so it's dependent on making that. I should be able to pin it down tomorrow. I do have a snow park permit and could drive if someone else wanted to ride.

    March 26, 2013

  • Paul Kogelmann

    I'm good to meet at the PnR at 3:30 Friday and will plan to be there.

    March 26, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    Lets change the meet up time in Renton to 3:30pm. This works better for Sara. Can you make that time, Agnes? Paul, if you want to get down there earlier and go for a ski we can look for you Friday nite or early (6 am)Saturday at Marble Mtn Snow Park. It would be MOST helpful if everyone going on this trip would let me know so I know who to look for Saturday morning. My email is [masked]. James, we would be passing your p and r about 4:30pm. I assume we can squeeze you in someone's car.

    March 26, 2013

  • jhamaker

    Peter, Paul - I don't know our around the mountain status yet. I'll know by Wed night. Do you know of any cars needing passengers? I would try to meet folks at the 512 & I-5 P&R, close to McDonalds past Tacoma.

    March 26, 2013

  • Sara

    if the weather holds, i am planning on going and can meet at the renton park and ride at 3, although i would prefer 3:30. according to brian's original email we don't need a climbing permit before april 1.
    peter, are you clear about the route, then? is anyone else? although i have done it, i don't feel confident in knowing the route, although i imagine there will be others climbing as well if it's a nice day!
    if possible, i would prefer to ride with someone else. but if not, i can be a driver. i have a sno-park permit.

    March 25, 2013

    • Peter Frerichs

      I feel confident about the route so long as visibility is reasonable (the forecast is partly sunny). If visibility is poor, I'm not interested in doing this climb. We may not be able to tell until day of.

      March 25, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    A clarification, I think those that can leave from Renton at 3pm should do so. Anyone else can leave when necessary Friday. We can regroup at Marble Mtn snow park Saturday morning. Everyone please respond whether you can meet at 3 in Renton or will be leaving later.

    March 25, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    1) Lets stick with the original plan. Meet at the Renton park and ride at 3 pm Friday. Drive 4 hrs to Marble Mountain Snow Park. Obtain snow park permit and climbing permit enroute. It seems we might have 3 cars, unless someone has a big SUV. Car/tent camp at snow park. Climb the mountain and return to Seattle Saturday. Folks should check the weather as it looks like some chance of snow as the week progresses (ie, perhaps less than bluebird conditions). 2) I'm pretty sure snow park permits are only valid for the current season. Last weekend we paid $21 for a one day permit! 3) I'm sure it's fine if Agnes' skier friend joins us.

    March 25, 2013

  • Agnes Sauvage

    Our car (DC+myself) cannot leave or climb Fri, need to work and even making it by 3pm is a stretch. Dont want to take all the gear for camping high up either, planning on sleeping in the car and leaving as early as needed Sat for a long day.
    1. Can you pls confirm that it is still the plan, cannot take Friday off.
    2. Thanks for the permit info - we'll get a snowpark permit for the night -website was unclear as to whether annual permits are valid for 1 yr from issuance, or for a calendar season.
    3. Lastly - just met a gal this weekend who is an expert skier and has already skied St Helens - would it b ok for her to come as well, given that we are now 1 short w Brian not coming?
    Thx, A

    March 25, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    I couldn't find info on camping at Marble Mountain Snow Park (6ft of snow at present), but we did it last time. Sure snow park permit is required. Who has one, because perhaps you should drive with the others compensating you? We will take the Worm Flows Route. There is a lot of info at: [masked] including links to the Forest Service in charge of the mountain.

    March 25, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    Climbing permits are required, but are free and can be picked up at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar on the way in. Self-issued 24/7 it looks like. Must check out after climb. After April 1st $22 and number of permits restricted.

    March 25, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    Bill, Sara, and myself have done the route - maybe others also - so I'm not worried about it so long as the weather is pretty clear. How do you guys feel about leaving in the morning with the idea of gaining 1,000-ft or so and camping higher and so having less to climb on Saturday? I know this is a problem for Sara, what about the rest of you (we'd have to figure out something for Sara)? Maybe its too complicated. The original meet up time was 3pm at the Renton P and R. I don't think any permits are required to camp at the Marble Mountain snow park except probably the snow park permit. I don't know about higher on the mountain. I will check on this stuff. Everyone should bring food for dinner, breakfast, lunch and the means to cook it in camp (I can bring two stoves if needed). I would think we would be camping on snow even in the parking lot unless you can sleep in your car. Peter

    March 25, 2013

  • Agnes Sauvage

    Bummer Brian, get better soon. Dana and I are still planning on going if the rest of the group is up for it, but neither of us knows the route. Could you guys pls also clarify what's the permit situation? What do we need for whom/what (skier and or car) and how do we get it? Thx! A

    March 24, 2013

  • Sara

    sorry to hear you hurt yourself, brian! get bettter soon!
    i am still up for going if good weather is predicted. i did this with brian and others 2 years ago and it was great! but i am not confident in my navigation skills, so others would have to feel confident in this. i would not be able to leave until 3 or so...i can't leave earlier than that on friday.

    March 24, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    I did Brian's original trip as did some of the others on this trip, so feel comfortable with the route. What does everyone think?

    March 24, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    I am also willing to stick with the original plan. I can take 2 others (3 possible but you'd be getting to know each other pretty well) in my smaller wagon.

    March 24, 2013

  • Peter Frerichs

    Sorry to hear this, Brian. We skied Mt Margaret Friday and found the best snow of the season.

    March 24, 2013

  • Paul Kogelmann

    Brian - Here is to some speedy healing. The weather is looking good for next weekend - for everyone who is skiing next weekend, I can drive w/ one other and gear in my Jetta wagon, w/ more than that it will get cramped. I want to get there fairly early on Friday with time to eat, set up camp, do a quick tour. I'm happy to be a cash and coffee providing passenger in someone elses comfy SUV. Paul - [masked]

    March 23, 2013

7 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Make progress in your life

The excitement and power of a community can make big things happen.

Log in

Not registered with us yet?

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy