Interglacier

  • June 8, 2013 · 6:30 AM
  • This location is shown only to members

Who: Intermediate backcountry skiers who are in excellent cardio condition.

Permit: Vehicle National Park Service

Ski and avalanche safety gear: Alpine Touring or Telemark skiing equipment, avalanche safety gear (beacon, probe, and shovel) and avy safety training and experience.

Navigation gear: I am bringing map, compass, altimeter, navigation wands, and GPS.  Ideally, at least one other skier will be equipped with a GPS.

Distance: 12 miles roundtrip.

Elevation gain: 5,500 feet.

Pace: Moderate (~800 ft of elevation gain per hour).

Duration: ~7 hour ascent and ~4 hour descent.

Difficulty: Extremely strenuous.

Drive duration from park-n-ride to trailhead: 2 hours.

Carpooling and fuel reimbursement: Riders please bring cash to compensate your driver.

Weather Forecast

Road Status

Avalanche Forecast

 

Join or login to comment.

  • Paul K.

    It was a great day on the Interglacier, the trail in is a vast improvement from my last hike to Glacier Basin in 4-5 years ago, we watched skiers and glissaders coming down as we made it to Steamboat Prow where we had an awesome view of the Emmons route. Surely it was mostly mush skiing down but still fun - that would be a great ski w/ good firm snow. Spectacular weather -full on sunny but comfortably cool - thank you Christy and Sara and Brian for an excellent day.

    June 9, 2013

  • Brian

    Perfect weather, spectacular views, great teamwork, and pretty good snow made for a remarkable and memorable tour. Status: 12.5 miles roundtrip with 5,400' of elevation gain. We ascended in 6.5 hours and descended in 2.25 hours.

    June 9, 2013

  • Brian

    Sorry, bailing on this one

    June 4, 2013

  • Linda

    Sorry, I cannot make it.

    June 4, 2013

  • Alexey P.

    Unfortunately, I can't go on 6/8. Have fun guys and girls!

    May 30, 2013

  • Brian

    Rescheduled for Sat, June 8. As of today, the Road Status website is not updated.

    May 29, 2013

    • Brian

      Good news: road to White River campground is open.

      May 29, 2013

  • Sara

    I can go if we leave Saturday morning. I am stuck in Seattle Friday night for the high school (where I work) graduation. (Or...I could leave really late, like around 9 pm.)

    May 29, 2013

  • Peter F.

    Brian, let me know if you're definitely canceling because I'm thinking of proposing a circumnavigation of Chair Pk instead. It's lower, less new snow accumulation and its probably the last weekend to do it.

    May 27, 2013

  • Brian

    Over the next few days, forecast calls for 10" to 22" of new snow.

    This route is prone to avalanche so I may postpone it for at least one week:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.87647485063478&lon=-121.7160701751709&site=sew&unit=0&lg=&FcstType=text

    May 26, 2013

  • Brian

    Road was expected to open yesterday. Hopefully, they'll post an update after the holiday: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/road-status.htm

    May 25, 2013

  • Christy

    I'm a little tentative. Will let you know.

    May 21, 2013

  • Sara

    i could be convinced to leave friday night if we leave after traffic. i don't think i want to sit in late afternoon traffic like we did recently for st. helens.

    May 20, 2013

  • Brian

    Option 1: drive down Saturday, 6/1/13. Option 2: drive down Fri, 5/31 and car camp at White River Campground. If enough people are interested in option 2, it's my preference.

    May 18, 2013

4 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Imagine having a community behind you

Get started Learn more
Henry

I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.

Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy