The Charlotte Animal Welfare Meetup Group Message Board › Ban the Trade of Ivory

Ban the Trade of Ivory

A former member
Post #: 1
Good morning fellow animal lovers! Did you know that as many as 100 elephants are killed everyday for their tusks. These majestic, highly intelligent animals suffer horrible deaths at the hands of poachers. Wild elephants could be extinct within 10 years if the demand for ivory does not stop.

I am working with a national group of people who are coming together to raise awareness and try to ban the trade of ivory in the United States. You may or may not know that President Obama recently enacted new policy banning the commercial trade of ivory in the United States. This is really just a band aid! There are many loop holes in the new regulation, and the next President could easily reverse the regulation (as it is not a law). New York and Hawaii have also proposed state law banning ivory. Unfortunately, auction houses and other businesses that sell ivory have stepped up their presence to try to stop these new state laws.

I am going to need some help from fellow North Carolina animal lovers with a project that my group is working on. If you would like to join us to help the elephants, please email me at cindyatnc@yahoo.com. Thank you!