addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Classic Novels Club of the North Metro Message Board › Nonfiction Classics

Nonfiction Classics

John W.
user 13256333
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
A valued group member has suggested reading "Eichmann in Jerusalem" and three members have expressed interest in doing that.

Since our group was founded, the consensus of our members has been that we will limit our reading selections to classic novels. I know that our group name says Classic Books... Certainly there are many, many nonfiction books that are worthy of close reading and discussion. I read lots of serious nonfiction myself, especially history.

I welcome input from our members about this issue. Perhaps another group can be formed that reads serious nonfiction. Or we could have more than one monthly meeting for members who want to read and discuss nonfiction in addition to our monthly classic novel that has been our mainstay.
A former member
Post #: 12
I would be interested in getting some classic nonfiction to the top of my reading list!
A former member
Post #: 1
I am open to reading books other than classic novels, but I would also be content if we limit our selections to that genre. For me, the emphasis has always been on the word "classic" meaning great literature standing the test of time, however you might want to define that. There is plenty to read either way.

The frequency of our meetings, discussing one book per month, is comfortable for me. If there was a second group or an additional meeting, I fear that I would have to make a choice on a monthly basis, jumping from one to the other depending on my interests.
Kristen
user 9507339
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
The particular book in question sounds very intriguing, but in general I would not care to participate in the non-fiction genre. If you add a meeting for that, I wouldn't attend. If you put in the occassional nonfiction to our normal list, I'd at least give them a shot but I probably would be able to finish them or participate much.