The Classic Novels Club of the North Metro Message Board › The Russians Are Coming & Need Responses

The Russians Are Coming & Need Responses

John W.
user 13256333
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
We should have a great discussion next Thursday for "Of Human Bondage."  There are so many topics to delve into: religion, coming of age, relationships, meaning of life...  I have 36 possible discussion questions so far, so we may have to gather in the parking lot until midnight to completely sort through that book.

Our next two books are by the great Dostoevsky.  We're reading these books back-to-back because many reviewers advised doing this.  Also, last year I sat in on a Russian literature class at the U of M where they were discussing "Crime and Punishment."  The professor told me afterward that it's best to read "Notes From Underground" first to get a feel for how Dostoevsky thinks; that gives "Crime and Punishment" a better context.

From the calendar you'll notice that the "Notes" discussion is just three weeks after our May 24 meeting. That's enough time to read "Notes", and I thought we should allow much more reading time for "Crime and Punishment."

I need responses from members who would like to attend the July meeting.  July is a popular vacation month, especially for parents with school-age children.   "Crime and Punishment" is universally regarded as one of the very greatest of novels, so I'd like to choose the best date for the largest number of members to attend that discussion.   Let me know if you can attend on only July 26, only July 19, or if either date is OK.

Please reply to me at my personal email: platoman12@hotmail.com.  For now, we'll plan on July 26, but we can change the date to July 19 if that's better.