align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Central Ohio Gamedev Group Message Board › Question concerning Code::Blocks

Question concerning Code::Blocks

A former member
Post #: 3
I am an accountant not a programmer. But, I have a 3 year old and I see a need and so I am attempting to bring a project to fruition.

After much research I decided to explore Code::Blocks. It claimed to be cross platform and capable of using multiple "libraries".

I thought I would start with a basic Qt application. To start the "project" CB wanted to know where QT was installed. So this begs the question if I have to install Qt to create a project in CB why not just use QT? Whereas with Irrlicht it appears I only need to add a few files inside of CB...http://www.youtube.co...­. in order to create an Irrlicht project.
So the next question is there a way to have an "SDK" folder for SDL, OpenGL, Ogre, etc?

So I hope maybe some one would like to take time to explain this to me.

Thanks,
Bill
Todd B.
ToddBarchok
Westerville, OH
Post #: 38
After much research I decided to explore Code::Blocks. It claimed to be cross platform and capable of using multiple "libraries".

Code::Blocks is cross platform, and is what I use, but it can take quite a bit of work to set everything up.

I thought I would start with a basic Qt application. To start the "project" CB wanted to know where QT was installed. So this begs the question if I have to install Qt to create a project in CB why not just use QT?

Well, Qt is a framework for creating GUI applications. It's possible to use the framework without the Qt IDE (integrated development environment), which is what Code::Blocks assumes you're trying to do. You can also just use the Qt IDE by itself, though I am unfamiliar with what it supports.

So the next question is there a way to have an "SDK" folder for SDL, OpenGL, Ogre, etc?

Generally, yes, you can put all the SDKs into a folder on your hard drive somewhere, and set up Code::Blocks (or any other good IDE) to point to them when you need to.