Michael
LoneWolfe007
Toledo, OH
Post #: 1
Hello all, my name is Michael and I am an aspiring game designer.
I didn't see many posts of greetings so either people don't like to introduce themselves or there is a rue somewhere I didn't read saying not to. I'm going for the first one haha.

Needless to say I just wanted to introduce myself seeing as how I hope to be an active member of this website and the meetings. I have been on and off attending devry to get my GSP degree so I can start my career as soon as possible.

I live in Toledo but my girlfriend is soon moving to OSU so that is where I'll be headed too. I stumbled upon your site when I was doing a search for Columbus based Game Developer. I'll cut this short just in case I am breaking some rules.

See you on the board :)

Steve C.
ColumbusSteve
Powell, OH
Post #: 46
Welcome Michael. What is a GSP degree?
Michael
LoneWolfe007
Toledo, OH
Post #: 2
It stands for Game and Simulation programming. It basically is an overview on the steps for creating games, like how to make a story and characters, setting up levels, then it gets into C++ and Java language. The language part was something I was interested in before I started my classes but I slowly realized that being a designer is something I am more interested in. I like designing levels and how a story should flow.
Ryan B.
user 137792442
Columbus, OH
Post #: 2
Hello Micheal,
I am a Game Art and design student. I have been trying to connect with the other members of the group. Are you going to the meetings.
Jason C.
GamesEngineer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 17
Welcome to the COGG! Please come to our next Meetup. We enjoy discussing all things related to games. Your mentioning of story is a favorite topic of mine, because I think most video games do a poor job with their stories. Often, game developers try to force a linear story into a game, which is an interactive media. The result is often a mess, because the player can ruin the story's pacing, or make choices that are at odds with the narrative, or the player simply feels like the game has become a movie that is broken into pieces they have to unlock through tedious gameplay. There are some examples of linear stories done well in games, and some games that have pushed nonlinear story telling to incredible degrees, but very few have been able to successfully implement procedural or emergent story telling, where the players' interactions truly develop characters and drive the plot, narrative, and structure.
Wesley A.
COGG-Admin
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 3
Welcome Michael!

A pleasure to meet you. My name is Wesley and I'm helping to regroup with some of the COGG community along with Scott and Cody who frequent COGG meetups. We're working to update this site as well as provide more opportunities for the group.

You bring up a great point that we do not have a Introductions page. I'll get right on that. If there is anything we can do to help support you, please let us know!

Welcome to the group and hope to see you at our next COGG group!
-Wes