Daylong Retreat on the Five Buddhas of the Mandala
SUNDAY, JULY 13
Colorado College IDEA Space, Cornerstone Arts Center
with Sarah Bender and David Gardiner
There have already been several special events held in association with the exhibit at CC called "Mandalas of Enlightenment." This will be the last one.
The daylong retreat on Sunday, July 13th, will be held primarily in the gallery but with time for walking outside as well.
Our focus will be to introduce some ways of working with images like these, allowing them to infuse our current practices with the vitality of new approaches. We will offer some traditional Tibetan teachings related to each of the Five Buddha pairs, and to the mandala as a tool for personal transformation.
We will also offer suggestions that move the traditional instructions in new directions, including some from the Zen koan tradition, and provide time to work with these in meditation.
The goal of the retreat will be to learn ways of employing imagery, color, direction and other symbolism as concrete methods for engaging with energies (in mind, body and spirit) that can help us grow.
Content: The retreat will include -
- Basic instruction about Buddhist mandalas in general and the Five Buddha mandala in particular, with Zen teachings to complement
- Time to explore the mandala on your own
- Time to sit/work on your own with one or two Buddha pairs
- Question and discussion
- Quiet time to walk and reflect
* Cushions and chairs provided (feel free to bring your own cushion)
* Please bring your own bag lunch
Time: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (with an hour break for lunch).
Cost: Suggested donation of $30 (no one turned away for lack of funds)
RSVP: Sarah Bender at [masked], by 8 pm, Friday, July 10th. Maximum of 12 participants.