Columbia Atheists Message Board › Mea culpa

Mea culpa

Dave R.
SageDave
Columbia, MO
Post #: 31
I am sorry for the mix up last week as to where we were meeting. Yes, I dropped the ball. I have had a stiff and deserved reaming (by more than a few) and ask for your forgiveness.
David
Greg L.
user 8659573
Group Organizer
Columbia, MO
Post #: 55
We started going to The Rome when Boone Tavern closed to transition to Bleu/Boone Tavern. We didn't know what Bleu/Boone Tavern would be like when it reopened. The decision to go to the Rome while Bleu/Boone Tavern was transitioning was made after open discussion at Wednesday meetings after taking suggestions from those present. The change was made on the Meetup website so that any members who were not present would know where the next meetup would take place.

The organizers of the Columbia Atheists and the University of MO group were planning to visit Bleu/Boone Tavern as soon as we could when it reopened. We would check things out and then have a discussion at a Wednesday night meeting about where we would meet going forward. For my part, I don't have a preference, as long as we have enough room, decent service, decent prices etc.

I was in Washington DC last weekend for the Reason Rally (which was monumental btw) and for the American Atheists convention, I came back Tuesday night. Our family is now in the process of moving to a new house, packing boxes and making trips back and forth every night. I could not be at the meetings last week or this week because of these responsibilities. This sort of thing is why I ask regularly attending members to volunteer to host particular Wednesday night meetings.

Carla Burris, who handles our bank account and helps plan activities, was at the same events in DC and is now out of the country. The organizers of the University of MO group, who we try to coordinate our activities with, were in DC last weekend and are on Spring Break this week.

So while many of us who were planning to participate in the decision making and ALL of us who would communicate what was happening to the groups and post to the websites were out of town or unavailable, a member of the group took it upon himself to spread word at the March 21st meeting that the March 28th meeting would be moving. He then told the Manager of the Rome that the group wouldn't be there on the 28th. Then, he didn't tell anyone who had not been at the March 21st meeting. The person who was set to host the March 28th meeting didn't know about the venue change. The organizers of the groups didn't know about the venue change. Anyone who wasn't at the March 21st meeting and showed up for the March 28th meeting didn't know about the venue change.

This is unacceptable. This is not a matter of dropping the ball, this is a matter of taking the ball when nobody is looking and running off with it.

Anyone who wants to help plan events and be involved is invited to. I have regularly asked for people to step forward if there is an activity they would like the group to be involved in and organize that activity. Look at Sam who hosted a Patty's Day Potluck just a couple of weeks ago. It was his idea and it was a huge success. Any of you can do things like that, you just have to run it by the group and the organizers.

I want to know what people think about the things the group is doing. When we make decisions about things like this we try to do it as a group and please as many members as we can. The group organizers have never and will never make big changes without first trying to get the input of as many active members as we can.

Greg
organizer