Columbia Atheists Message Board › Counter Protest

Counter Protest

Matt P.
user 8899886
Columbia, MO
Post #: 33
Is anyone interested in attending a counter protest against Westboro Baptist Church this Wednesday?
It is Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 6:30pm - 9:30pm, Missouri Theater
The organizers are wanting protesters to bring silly signs and generally making fun of the hate mongers.

Dave
user 10231222
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 933
Just curious...why is Westboro Baptist Church there anyway? What are they protesting?
Matt P.
user 8899886
Columbia, MO
Post #: 34
They are protesting the Heartland Men's Chorus at the Missouri Theater.
A former member
Post #: 1
I would LOVE to be there, these folks are vile scum - and they come to Columbia WAY too often. I'll do my best to show up.
Dave
user 10231222
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 935
They are protesting the Heartland Men's Chorus at the Missouri Theater.

Ah. I wonder if they figure Dog hates music too...
Annie
user 9088049
Columbia, MO
Post #: 36
Turns out the reason WBC is protesting the Heartland Men's Chorus is that they are presenting a musical documentary called "And Justice For All," a multimedia performance focusing on the Civil Rights Movement and the struggle for equality by ethnic minorities, women, gays and lesbians down through our history.

I think it would be very cool if we were represented at the protest. So you can count on me to happily hold down the fort at Boone Tav until our intrepid protesters return to tell their tale. So hopefully some of you will come to Boone Tav after the protest... please?
Greg L.
user 8659573
Group Organizer
Columbia, MO
Post #: 29
Speaking against hate is a worthy endeavor, I will be at the counter protest.

Chris has agreed to host the meetup. Annie, I see you and some others will be there as well so everything should be under control (or about the same amount of control our group usually exhibits!).

Will try come by Boone Tavern for a bit afterwards with a report, and to show off my signs.

Annie, you can provide bail if need be, correct?

-Greg
Annie
user 9088049
Columbia, MO
Post #: 37
Lammers: I read the description of the counter-protest on Facebook, and it clearly says that participants are "...expected to be in control of their emotions." Happily, I know I can count of any counterprotesters from our group to deport themselves in the most dignified of fashions! (And if, for some unforseen reason, bail becomes necessary, well, jail would be such a valuable learning experience, don't you think?) :)

BTW, I did notice a note on the FB page that WBC gets its money from suing counter-protesters. So do be careful out there, okay?