addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Columbia Atheists Message Board › familyl friendly meetup?

familyl friendly meetup?

Holli C.
user 11149668
Columbia, MO
Post #: 3
I can't make it to the Wednesday meetups anyway, but being as they are held in a bar, I'm thinking not meant for kids. Does anyone want to have a family-oriented meetup at a park or some such? I'd love an opportunity to meet some of you (I know at least one other family on here...Hi Stephanie and Larry!!)

I have one boy who is 6. Did I see that sometimes you guys do games? Our family is huge into games. Perhaps we could get the big meeting room in the library and have a family-oriented game day...Everybody bring their kids' favorite games?
A former member
Post #: 18
While there is a bar at Boone Tavern, the place is really a restaurant first and foremost... weather permitting, the group usually gathers on the patio. The rest of the time the group is usually found in one of the large group rooms.

All of that said, there really isn't much for children to do and the conversation isn't always child appropriate.

I suspect Greg would be very open to listing a family-friendly meetup at a location of your choice if some of us wanted to give it a whirl...

LarryD
Greg L.
user 8659573
Group Organizer
Columbia, MO
Post #: 32
I think this is a great idea. I have a 3 year old son and would be interested in doing some more parent-child type events. I'm sure there are others who would be interested as well.

Holli, if you would like to take charge of this let me know and I can schedule an event and name you as the event host.

Our group is registered to use the Daniel Boone Regional Library. We can use it once a month, so that is a possibility for something like this.

-Greg
Rachel B.
user 11729665
Columbia, MO
Post #: 2
I love the idea of the library as a site for family-friendly atheist activity! The space is great, and the whole point of libraries is to open one's mind to whole new worlds and systems of thought. I have no kids, and no personal interest in attending a family event, but I'm thrilled to see one start up.
Holli C.
user 11149668
Columbia, MO
Post #: 4
Well, it hasn't been quite a year since I first mentioned this...lol! I think I'm ready to take this on, if there's still interest.
Greg, do you still have that registration at the library? It sounds like a fantastic option. We have a rather large library of games, and of course everybody would be welcome to bring some of their own. We love learning new games!

Also, I'm a huge fan of Going Bonkers. You have to pay to get in: it's $5 per kid (I don't remember the age range, sorry) and $1 per adult. I have a pass that cost $38/3 months that allows one kid and one adult in. Because we go so often, the price works out to around $1/visit. It's a fantastic place for adult/kid mixed groups to meet, because the adults can sit (there's even a quiet room) and talk or play games while the kids run, climb and play like mad. There is also an arcade where the kids can earn tickets to get prizes. I don't habitually allow my kid to play up there, so if arcade is unappealing to you, there will be at least one kid providing peer pressure to not go up...=P

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to do a monthly meeting at the library, and at least a monthly meeting at Bonkers. We are actually there several times a week, usually...perhaps I should post on here when we go... We frequently put out a message to my husband's gamer buddies, and meet there for games, and very few of them are even married, much less have kids, so anybody who likes to play games would be welcome, but my son sure would love some new friends to play with. =D

Holli
Tim P.
user 13502827
Columbia, MO
Post #: 7
It's to bad we don't have a building of our own for all kinds of activities. I know that puts us in there with churches. But that is why atheism fails is because people like that family feel. They want to be part of a family setting and most atheists are alone on the way they think so its hard to explain to people this is better. I would love to do family days, BBQ's stuff like that. we need to work harder on Holli's idea.
Greg L.
user 8659573
Group Organizer
Columbia, MO
Post #: 52
This is great Holli. I will get the library thing squared away and then you'll be all set. The main thing is if we want our own room we have to sign up in advance so you'll have to reserve the library room and then post the meetup.

Going Bonkers sounds great too.

-Greg
Holli C.
user 11149668
Columbia, MO
Post #: 5
I was thinking Sundays for the library meetup--they're open from 1-5, so I'd probably want to show up around 1, and stay for as long as there are people to play with. =)

Let me know when you've got that done, Greg, and I'll find out when the next Sunday is available, and I'll see if I can sign us up for a regular Sunday.

I was also thinking Thursday evenings for a Going Bonkers game night (mainly because that's very convenient for us...). They are open until 9 on weeknights, and it's frequently pretty slow, especially toward close, so we'd be the bulk of the business, which in my opinion would be a good thing. You can get food there, though it's not high quality food, and a tad pricey. I know the regular weekly meetup isn't until 7, but because lots of little ones have early bedtimes/school in the morning, I'd want to do this at more like 6, so people can get home if they need to. Um, I guess this Thursday may be a bad one, with the weather like this, so maybe we'll try next Thursday, and see how that works, and just keep to every 2nd Thursday?

Also, Greg, would it be ok for me to cross-post and invite our homeschool group to these as well? It would boost attendance--making it more likely to have attendees... Also, the majority of the homeschoolers who seem to be interested in gaming are at the very least very open-minded, and most of them seem to be pretty secular. I know the stereotype of homeschoolers is fundie, but we have a surprisingly secular group (being as we are the alternative to the christian group group, that's not sooo surprising I guess).

Ok, that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks Greg!

Holli