Columbia Atheists Message Board › 21st Century Inquisition

21st Century Inquisition

Dave R.
SageDave
Columbia, MO
Post #: 3
My friends:

My newest commentary from Inkandvoice. As always, your comments and critiques are welcomed. Dave

“Even suggesting that our government is religious based is to declare that they want an America that looks like the Ayatollah’s Iran or the Taliban’s Afghanistan. The same will happen in the United States that happened in other theocratic nations – And it will be the New Inquisition, not the messiah, resurrected in America.” Read more: http://wp.me/pDkAX-2q...­
Vanette
user 11546408
Columbia, MO
Post #: 1
Dave,

I have a problem with the following statement, quoted from your upcoming article for the Missourian.

"those who go or have gone to private and religious based schools are not held to the same high
standards as our public institutions"

It's a generalization which I feel is not always true and therefore weakens your argument. It may also ruffle the feathers of those who might otherwise be more or less in agreement with you.

Some private schools do a much better job of educating than our public ones, probably because they have the funding and tend to have more parental involvement. I can't speak much on the issue of religious based schools but I agree with your comment based on limited experience with kids who have gone to them.

So that you know where I'm coming from, my kids, grandkids, and I are all products of public schools. I was adjunct faculty for some years at UMKC, so I've been part of academia as well.

Otherwise I like your article very much. It will be interesting to see what kind of feedback the Missourian receives from it. I only hope there IS some.

Vanette
Carla B.
tekvet
Columbia, MO
Post #: 34
I'm a product of both religious and public schools -- grade school in a small catholic school and public school from high school on. The catholic school had well-engaged teachers and seemed to meet regulated standards, but there was no provision for varied student ability and interest. Since all 25 students in my grade had to take the same classes, I was bored out of my mind learning to calculate complex fractions for the 2rd time in 8th grade while there were other kids that were still sketchy on the stuff we covered in the early part of 6th grade. At the public school just down the street, I could have been in AP math classes and the other kids could have been getting individualized help on their math phobias.

That aside, my problem with religious schools isn't that they don't have to meet high standards. There are well-respected religious schools (St Louis University, for example) and some that are not (Bob Jones U). Similarly, you can find public schools that are stellar and those that are sad jokes. My problem with religious schools is that they can dilute the potential of public education. Religiously-schooled kids in my experience are less likely to experience diversity (racial or intellectual or socioeconomic) than those in public schools. Isolating kids into religious schools gives them less opportunity to explore.

Personally, I'd be fine with religious schools teaching religion on weekends or in summer sessions. Just keep all the kids in public schools for their main education Monday - Friday with summers off. If there's a problem with public schools, then the entire community needs to work together to fix it, not run off to start their own schools.