A former member
Post #: 1
I new and am planning on a system in a green house I have a 235 gal tank and would like to use catfish but how do I control the tank temp in the Texas heat?
Bob J.
user 18667641
Garland, TX
Post #: 36
Clifford,
Good question! My opinion...
Catfish are native and survive the heat in in-ground ponds. Otherwise,
shade the fish tank, good green house ventilation, perhaps evaporative (drip) cooling, or burying the fish tank partially in the ground.
Bob Jordan
arturo.
user 7279891
Austin, TX
Post #: 35
Clifford,

We operate myriad different types of Aquaponic systems, some in greenhouses, others outside. With the exception of the garage unit, they are all susceptible to the Texas heat. We do this to figure out how to solve problems such as this, in Texas.

Bob gave some great suggestions. There are other things you can inexpensively do also.

First know that the size tank you are using is very susceptible to temperature fluctuations, both hot and cold.

For the heat, depending upon your setup, consider raising your return water flow hose over the tank, that is, as high above the water as possible. Put some kind of diffuser on the hose to increase the surface area, thus cooling the water on the way back to the fishes.

Consider freezing one liter water jugs. Every day, throw a couple in and remove them the next day and replace them with others.

Another option is to place a dark tarp over the portion of greenhouse that covers the fish tank. You can then put bird netting over the fish tank. This will also help dissipate heat. Since nitrifying bacteria are extremely sensitive to sunlight, the tarp is crucial.

Not sure how you are running your system, but leaving the water pump on all night will also dissipate heat. You will want to do the opposite in the winter to conserve heat.

Outside of the temperature issues, we have found that, along with Catfish, Blue gill is a nice combination fish. The Cats are bottom feeders, and the Blues tend to stay upwards. Good utilization of real estate and thus, more nutrients.

Hope this is helpful.

arturo.
The Texas Aquaponic and TransFarming Group (CleanFoodSolutions.org)
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you both. I do not have a system yet I am gathering parts and information right now. I have the green house perhaps I can post some pictures. and the tank and pump so far. Now I am considering building an outside inground tank for summer use and then move indoors for the fall and winter.