The Dallas Screenwriters Meetup Group Message Board › Pulp Fiction Discussion 8/17/2012 (Friday Night Meeting)

Pulp Fiction Discussion 8/17/2012 (Friday Night Meeting)

A former member
Post #: 7
In our analysis of "Pulp fiction" last night some elements were missing from the revenge talked against Marsalis concerning the "hillbilly (citybilly) rapist" scene. Marsalis was a bad guy but he was a business man who killed those people who decided to play or screw around in his sandbox. Thus you have to figure that a deal that goes wrong with be dealt with severely by this man as he is connected to some interesting people.

Bruce Willis's character (Butch) was a fighter who worked for Marsalis. Bruce did not take the dive he was ordered to take so forgot who he worked for thus costing Marsalis money. He won the fight, ran out then hid thinking that he was in the clear with his life.

So when Marsalis sees Bruce and chases him after Bruce tried to run him this exposes us to a different man where exposing his emotions (Marsalis) wants revenge. As a result of the chase and ensuing fight both men enter a world that is a little are prepared for so are out of their element.

What happens in the next series of scenes shows us that Bruce Willis has a moment of redemption and realization that he did "F’d "over Marsalis and he does not deserve this fate. I have seen the movie more than several times to not feel joy that Marsalis is getting what he deserves.

My interest is in seeing how Bruce Willis's character realizes his wrong, capitalizes on the situation to ask for forgiveness (essentially his life) from Marsalis because he is a dead man as Marsalis has put a hit out on him. Others know what happen and talk will get generated after this event with the killing of John Travolta's hit man character.

Bruce Willis is able to escape, kill two of the three Looney tunes and allow Marsalis to start extracting his revenge. The preceding scenes leading up and including the basement scene vary all over the board with levels of submission, dominance, control and loss of control.

Eventually Marsalis as a leader has control and his former employee asks for forgiveness seeing the errors of his way asks for redemption. It is granted with conditions due to the severity of the situation. Bruce gets a new motorcycle, a pardon, his father's watch and his life. He and his gf leave LA. Meanwhile Marsalis gets to do what Marsalis does to another individual that step wrongly into his world.

There was to me no feeling that he deserved what was to happen to him. I saw "fate as the hunter" bring together these neighbors of this economic world they inhabited. This was the movie was about worlds colliding.